Chasing Birds from Orchard

tedgrowsit(6b PA)July 9, 2012

The birds, specifically the red-bellied woodpeckers, are going to end up getting more William's Pride apples than I do. What is the most effective means of keeping them out of the trees? I have neighbors quite close, so loud noises are not a good option. Thanks for any advice. Ted

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bejay9_10(zone 9/10)

For the past few years, I have tied old shiny computer discs to the fruiting trees - apricot, plum, apple - along with partially deflated mylar baloons. The balloons dance and move with the slightest breeze, and the discs spin and emit flashing lights if the sun can shine on them. This has been quite successful, although my greatest predator this year has been squirrels, both ground and gray types.

We managed, however, to harvest most of our fruit, except for the almonds, which the squirrels eat, even though the seed kernels weren't ripened

I am hoping that the ground burrowing critters will not find the young tree roots.

Good luck.

Bejay

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 11:04PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I also have had good results with the CDs. Only put them up right as the fruit is about to get tasty. Too early and they acclimate, too late and they are too hungry and will ignore them.

Scott

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 10:20AM
jimfnc(7aNC)

in addition to mylar shiny stuff I've added aluminum pan lids from party supply store - their retangular, extremely cheap, like 50 cents each, and blow in the wind easy. i put several on a pole so they hit each other. Shiny and random sound but not enough to trouble neighbors. Managed to keep 90% of my blueberries this year. Also did the mylar balloons-about 1.50 ea and blow in the wind even if deflated.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™