pomegranate - blossoms/fruit falling off

vjeko(Croatia, 9)July 26, 2013

Here's a photo of two pomegranates - the small one in front
is 2 years old and has 3 fruits growing on it. The large one behind it is over 5 years old, with all blossoms always dropping off. This year I used some glue to keep the ants away but still the blossoms fell off. The large pomegranate is supported since it doesn't seem to be "anchored" too deeply (I may be guilty as I didn't do too much deep watering (or is it something else ?).
There's new growth sprouting around the "trunk" - not sure if it's a sign of some "problems".
Anyway, I'm not sure what I can do to resolve the problem with
falling blossoms/fruit.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucky_p

Patience.
In my experience, some young fruiting plants - like poms & persimmons, may drop all blossoms and fruits, for several years, then they seem to 'get the hang of it' - &/or reach an adequate degree of maturity, and begin fruiting reliably.

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 3:01PM
nandakumar(7)

I had the same experience with my pomegranate, it is second year and all the flowers just fell off. One of friend was about to take out his pomogranate having the falling off issue for 4 yrs, then some one told him that it is natural for some pomogranate trees to shed flowers/baby fruits in the initial years, so he kept it and this year it has more than 30 fruits.

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 11:41PM
itheweatherman

Your pomegranate tree might have a pollination issue---I had the same problem with my tree. But then I decided to do hand pollination and it worked, it started to produce fruits.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™