No chip bud growth

nc_orchard(7a)July 21, 2012

I did some cherry chip bud grafts about a month ago. All the grafts took and I cut the portion of the rootstock above the bud thinking I could push some new growth from the bud this year. The buds have yet to do anything. I successfully did some chip bud grafts last year and had the same issue, but thought I may get some growth from them in the following spring, but it didn'nt happen. What am I doing wrong, how do I get the buds to grow? The grafts I did this year are cherry grafts on Krymsk rootstock that I planted this spring. The grafts are not at the highest point on the rootstock as some branches have grown that are significantly higher than my graft. If I prune everything back so the graft is at the top, will that do any good?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marknmt

Never been very successful with any stone fruit other than plum, but in general grafts will remain dormant if there is very much growth above them because they are suppressed by the hormones secreted by the apical tip.

I've had some luck cutting a notch in the bark just above the branch that is grafted to, which interrupts the flow of the hormone from higher growth. I use my pocket knife to make a slice perpendicular to the axis of the trunk from which the branch grows. Make the notch by cutting a second slice ~ 3/16" wide and as deep as the bark.

Just takes a second and appears to do no harm. It's been very helpful for me on my apple, where I've had "failed" grafts emerge a full year after notching.

Good luck,

M

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 7:59PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Mark is right, the bud needs to be dominant. If the stock is really big, like 2" or more, you can often get away with not having it dominate the whole tree, but it needs to dominate anything else on the same large scaffold it is on.

Scott

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 10:30PM
marknmt

Scott, thanks for that point. I'd look forward to hearing any more thoughts you have on that, specifically, "if a bud is on a good-sized (say 2") scaffold, what influence would pencils located between the bud and the main trunk have?"

Also, I noticed that when I removed excessive top growth from my Liberty apple that all the young grafts below responded well. So that makes me wonder "how cumulative is the effect of apical dominance? Do upper branches "drain" into lower branches?"

Thanks for all your comments and help.

M

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 10:51PM
More Discussions
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™