strawberries

DanwyomingJuly 8, 2012

i have a strawberry garden of two year old plants. they are extremely healthy, exhibit no common problems, are blooming profusely but the blossoms do not produce fruit. at the point where the fruit should appearm, the tips turn brown and dry up. cant find any information on cause?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

You have mother plants done there fruiting in year in pass.

Mother plant fruit in summer then sin out runner that root and make fruit next year and after fruiting sin out more runners called baby plants that fruit the net year.
This cycle means remove old mother plant in winter after babies well rooted. The plants have to renew every year.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 10:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
howelbama(7 NJ)

The plants do not have to renew every year, they should produce fruit for a few years t the least. Has it been extremely hot in your area lately? Blossom drop is usually due to high temps.

Eventually they will stop producing, and you will need to replace them with new plants or allow some runners to root as long as the mothers are still healthy plants. If they are blooming, they will still produce berries, so it is probably something environmental, most likely high temps...

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 12:07AM
More Discussions
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™