Apple shoots from downed tree

billarchJuly 19, 2012

Last fall during the wind storm and then the early snow in October (Massachusetts), a couple of our apple trees went down.

Now a bunch of shoots are popping up not only where the stumps are, but what appears from a root about five feet away from the original trunk of one.

Should I cut back all but one shoot in each cluster, leave a few in each cluster, or leave them all and let them fight for survival amongst themselves?

Also, I never really cleaned up and filled in the uprooted stumps (back issues then, but better now). Should I now deal with the upturned soil and remains of the stumps or with that hurt the shoots?

BTW, these trees are more ornamental than producers of edible fruit - as much as I wish different.

thanks,

-Bill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
milehighgirl(CO USDA 5B/Sunset 2B)

I would take advantage of the situation and keep a few sprouts that are spaced well enough apart and graft on to them. There is no need to have an apple tree for just ornamental value.

There is a lot of information available on grafting and there are several resources for scion wood. The mature root structure will give you a faster producing tree than if you replaced them with good apple trees, and you would have the benefit of good apples as well.

I must say that I personally have not had a lot of luck grafting, but it is a learning experience. It won't hurt anything for you to try. My most obvious mistake was trying to graft on to rootstocks that barely had any roots. This would not be the case in your situation. My best luck was in situations just like yours.

I can't comment on the removal of the stumps. A picture might help. I'm really just a newbie myself so lets see what others come up with.

Bookmark   July 19, 2012 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
new orchard - a few questions
I'd like to start a small orchard on a recently purchased...
Fiona Kerr
Jujube hardiness zones
According to Willisorchards.com the Li and Lang Jujube...
garprob1
Blueberry help!
What's going on with this blueberry bush? Is it going...
julia_scheidt
Apple Pruning Advice
Can someone tell me if it would be a good idea to prune...
Dan Liptak
First time tree planter, need pruning advice.
I know there some some people that say not to prune...
speedster1
Sponsored Products
King 200TC Cassie Sheet Set - LAVEND
$509.90 | Horchow
Safavieh Courtyard CY2666-1E01 6'7" x 9'6" Natural, Olive Rug
$312.71 | PlushRugs
History of the Typewriter Chart
$28.99 | Dot & Bo
Red Velvet Jacket Soldier Nutcracker Statue
$27.99 | zulily
Red 30 ft (9 meters) Half Inch Round LED Rope Light EL05030
EnvironmentalLights.com
Uttermost Riyo Hall Tree in Solid Mango Wood
Beyond Stores
AICO Furniture - Lavelle Palatial Oval Double Pedestal Table -...
Great Furniture Deal
Hotel Grand 350 Thread Count Damask White Goose Down Blend Comforter
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™