Darrow Blues

yawineyJuly 27, 2013

Do the Darrows get fall colors this early? Or could they be having problems? My other varieties all have some reddening, but on the others there is still mostly green.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Cool evenings? I saw that on my elliotts. I wouldn't worry too much since we're approaching september. I don't see your zone, 1st freeze date, so not sure if they could handle a new flush of growth or not.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 5:06PM
alan haigh

How's your cropping on Darrow? Wasn't worth growing for me- seems it's extraordinary flavor is tied to so many leaves producing so little fruit.

No idea why leaves would be turning so early- not something I've noticed on mine.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 9:05PM
yawiney

1st year so don't know about the cropping. Hopefully not too little. I noticed my Misty and Chandler also putting on some fall colors. I hope that's all it is and am wondering if it could be a ph problem.

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 12:03AM
alan haigh

Did you get the pH in the right range and is soil light and well drained?

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 6:17AM
yawiney

Soil is Azeala acid mix with compost, extra peat moss and some of the native clay loam. i amended with cottonseed meal and put some soil sulfur in to bring the overall ph down. On top is mulched with fir and pine bark. My water ph is 6.8. Soil ph meter broke. When I checked originally it was high, that's why i added sulfur and cottonseed meal.

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 4:37PM
alan haigh

And your confident you didn't use too much sulfur? Real easy to go overboard with potted plants.

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 5:11PM
yawiney

I went pretty heavy with the sulfur Like a small handful to each gallon of soil around the plant. uh oh. I didn't think i could overdue it. They are in the ground though.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 6:31PM
alan haigh

Handful per gallon of soil might well have dropped the pH too far down and that would explain coloration. Better do another pH check.

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 7:09PM
molex

sulfur is very slow acting, this looks more like dehydration than a PH issue

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 10:27AM
alan haigh

MoleX, I don't think we have the info of how long ago sulfur was applied. Do you know how long it would take for sulfur to affect the plants if an entire handful per gallon of "soil" was added? I don't have a clue. Don't even know what was the pH starting point, but the indication is it is a lot more acidic amendments than actual soil.

I think your suggestion is astute though, and certainly as good a theory as any given the info we have to work with.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 6:11PM
More Discussions
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™