Peach tree help

sean2280(5)July 28, 2014

Can anyone ID this issue with my O'Henry Peach? It seems to be the only one out of my 11 that is doing this. Could it be lack of water? Lack of Zinc?

I'm at a little of a loss... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Possible rust mites

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 4:00PM
sean2280(5)

Would that cause the leaves to curl like that?

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 4:22PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

It's not zinc. I've seen a little of that many yrs and it's way different. The leaves are smaller, somewhat chlorotic, and bunched together at branch tips.

I've got some that look similar but am not concerned. I don't think you should be either.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 5:36PM
rayrose(8)

That's the way a tree starts to look, when it's being
girdled by borers. Check for them.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 5:55PM
sean2280(5)

What do any of you think about lack of P?? The funny thing is I did a search on it and one of the pictures from the website looked just like it, yet it is planned in a 4-1 and none of the other 3 trees are having this issue.. out of they are its not that pronounced...

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 7:45PM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

I've had that on some trees. Rayrose has the right general direction, something is stalling the nutrients. I don't think its a lack of a chemical its more a lack of flow. It looks like growth stalled as well. Check thoroughly for borers. Throw a bunch of compost around the base after that, just to change the game a bit and maybe pull it out of its rut.

Scott

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 8:23AM
greendumb

I have an Indian Blood Clingstone for three years and this year 80% of the leaves are like that.
They started out open and now are closed.
The tree was girdled by a ground squirrel a few days ago and it went pretty deep.
The tree is probably going to die but I hope to see a death reaction, such as the leaves opening before they die.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 1:14PM
alcedo 4/5 W Europe

Potassium deficiency :

Leaf rolling and pale color = potassium deficiency

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 6:34PM
sean2280(5)

That's what I was thinking... pretty weird how only one of the 4 trees in the hole has it. But yep, when I started to do some digging that's what I thought. I checked for borers and found zero evidence above or below the soil. Would any of you think kelp meal would do the trick? I'm trying to stay pretty organic.. but if anyone has another answer that may help better by all means let me know. I have local access to both kelp and bone meal, but have been using kelp meal as part of my feeding regimen.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 10:38PM
alan haigh

Potassium is easy to get organically. Woodchips are loaded with it (and also physically improve access to it) and fire wood ashes provide it very quickly if your soil isn't too alkaline. I'm sure kelp is loaded with it also, but is also probably relatively high in N. I'm sure you can find specific information about the nutrients in kelp on the internet with a quick search.

I fertilize my fruit trees with my own urine which is quite high in both N and K.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 5:34AM
More Discussions
Indoor Spring Start To Raspberries
Hi...under advisement from Cornell University, they...
Greenhorn2
Repotting avos
I would like to know when to repot my avocado trees...
chez54
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
conflicting pawpaw spacing info
Last week I planted several dozen paw paw. I had read...
Edwin Turlington
Growing Anything Under A Black Walnut Tree
Hi Gang.....maybe someone here has a solution or idea,...
Greenhorn2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™