Persimmons!

WAgardengalJuly 10, 2012

I'm thinking about planting a persimmon tree in my backyard (I live in Seattle.) Any tips?

Alison

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
murkwell

Get one that ripens as early as possible.

Decide whether you want astringent or non-astringent.

See if you can find one in the neighborhood that ripens regularly and ask the owner to tell you the variety (probably won't know).

If what you do get doesn't ripen reliably, graft the neighborhood variety to your tree or find somebody who can do it for you.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 4:04PM
steve_in_los_osos

Ditto all of that. Look at Raintree's website. In their catalog they say that only Saijo (astringent) ripens reliably for them at their location. Izu is listed as very early and is non-astringent. Both are small trees.

They also note that Coffee Cake (pollination variant non-astringent) ripens in climates with cool summers that won't ripen others (more vague....) and Saijo will pollinate it. So you may have some choices, but if it were me, I'd do the homework first as murky suggests above and see if anyone near you has had any luck. Then I'd try Saijo anyway :-)

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 6:51PM
strudeldog_gw

I do not Believe Saijo has any Male flowers and would not pollinate other Kaki, but unless you are trying a P.V. type you would not really need a pollinator, as most commerially available Kaki do not need pollination to set fruit. Not sure if my Sajio is overly vigorous, but it is one of my larger growing trees. Very Upright. A great choice though however.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 9:39PM
WAgardengal

I've heard that a persimmon tree isn't too much work, but for what it's worth I got this piece of information from someone in Southern California. Thanks for the tips!

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 4:04PM
olga_6b

They are certainly care free here. No real pest or desease. I only prune them a little to control size and water when it is really dry.
Most enjoyable. Spring/summer/fall/winter - always look good.
Olga

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 9:11PM
WAgardengal

That's great, yes I've heard pests are not interested in them at all. Thanks!

Bookmark   July 12, 2012 at 12:33PM
More Discussions
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Source for Hidden Rose Apple?
Looking for a tree or scions but seem to be coming...
jsvand5
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™