Questions about fruit tree pruning

RyanC95(7B)July 3, 2014

I have a Persimmon Tree (Fuyu) I recently transplanted and I don't have a clue about pruning. I'm thinking about leaving the tree alone for a year or two because I think the tree is about 1-2 years old and its looking kinda wimpy for a tree right now, the picture is how my tree looks now after it got eaten by a deer like 5 weeks ago.

How should I prune the tree if I want it to maximize on fruit production while at the same time keeping it tall enough so the deer can't just eat everything/ reach it yet not so tall that I cant reach the top with a ladder (about 20 ft).

If I try to prune the tree to have a large branch and that branch I'm training is connecting to the stem about 4 feet above the ground; will it remain 4 feet from the ground it's entire life or will the branch slowly move higher as the tree grows?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

The branch won't move higher. If 4ft off ground the center of the branch will remain 4ft above ground. Branches only get longer when green and growing. Once the wood and bark harden, no more increase in length in that section.

Primary thing is keep the deer away until it's big enough to take eating lower leaves and antler scrapping. That's 4-5 yrs at least.

I won't prune now. What you do next spring is dependent on whether it's tall enough for branches above deer height, 4-5ft. You might need to straighten up that top shoot to extend the trunk. Once tall enough head back above deer height to force side branches.

Bookmark   July 3, 2014 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Growing Anything Under A Black Walnut Tree
Hi Gang.....maybe someone here has a solution or idea,...
Greenhorn2
Prime-Ark Freedom Chill Hours
For anyone wondering, Prime-Ark Freedom appears to...
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Indoor Spring Start To Raspberries
Hi...under advisement from Cornell University, they...
Greenhorn2
Root barrier for Amity raspberries
I am trying to find an 8-inch deep root barrier to...
garrai818
Luisa plum
Hey guys I just ordered a luisa plum for next season...
plumstupid
Sponsored Products
Personalized Artisan Board with Name or Phrase
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
Henri De Rivel Rivella Paris Dressage Flocked Saddle Multicolor - 2024-R04S175
Hayneedle
Milwaukee Brewers Garden Flag
$8.99 | zulily
Homeware Ultramarine Accent Pillows - Set of 2 - HWP011-18-121ULT
$79.00 | Hayneedle
USC Trojans 20-Oz. Mason Jar & Lid
$9.99 | zulily