tooooo much rain

thomis(7)July 2, 2013

This year marks my first significant harvest for my five year old orchard. Of my 30 apple trees, 26 are fruiting.
We've received more than 10" of rain for June and raining today and forecast for the next few days. What challenges should I expect to face from this kind of excess rain?
I would think the random bitter pit problem that has showed up in my orchard may be increased.
Also, if I wanted to spray for bitter pit and sooty blotch, flyspeck, etc. could I use the same fungicide I sprayed for CAR (Rally 40 WSP)?

On the side, I grafted some scion wood to some of my dwarf trees and just got to taste my first Red Astrachan apple. It was large, big as a grapefruit and beautiful. Very tart, juicy and slightly firm, which is not typical of my other summer apples. I was so impressed, I will be planting several Red Astrachan trees on bud9 this November on my trellis.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrsg47(7)

The rain, fog and mist seems to be the theme of this summer so far. It is too much, but is still raining on and off this week in RI. It is close to being the wettest spring and summer in history. That is a lot of rain. I use Captan.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 6:36PM
sautesmom

I dunno--would you rather have it 109 degrees and overcast? I have had to spend 2 hours every morning and evening watering for over a week now. I'll be happy to trade our Sacramento weather for a few days of rain.
:)
Carla in Sac

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 8:40PM
mrsg47(7)

Carla. we've had three months of this without living in the lovely countryside of England. LOL Mrs. G

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 8:52PM
thomis(7)

no, I would NOT like to be watering the trees ;)
For sure.
Either feast or famine, so to speak, isn't it?

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 9:09PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Carla seems to be having a bad year, sorry Carla!!!!. Loss of the cots and all I guess. But CA weather is vastly better than NE for fruit. If it rained in CA for a week right now like it is out East it would be a total disaster for the CA fruit industry.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 9:17PM
More Discussions
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™