Grape quiz

bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)July 3, 2013

Name this grape. A hint......I am in Florida.

Can't believe how fast they grow. Planted January of 2012 as a 6 inch high airlayer. 18 months later It is now 40 feet long. I have never grown grapes before so pretty jazzed they are doing well. I have more vines on an actual trellis but the fence works too although the deer eat the leaves. Speaking of leaves there is some leaf issue going on though I need to look in to.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

muscadine

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 5:46PM
gonebananas_gw

If the tendrils divide into two (fork) it is most likely a bunch grape, and may perish by Pierce's Disease in a few years.

If the tendrils do not divide it is near-certainly a muscadine, very few of which succumb to PD.

The University of Florida bred PD resistant bunch grapes starting (in terms of release) nearly 60 years ago. It may be one of them. Mississippi State has released a few too.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 4:50PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Gonebananas It is forked....... it is a native Florida V. shuttleworthii x Catawba. So a pierce proof bunch grape.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 10:09PM
flatwoods_farm(9A Riverview, F)

where ever did you find a hybrid like that? Are they available? It's most certainly not a muscadine

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 9:31AM

Flatwoods,

I know you grow this grape or one like it and sell it.......I know you have a non propagation agreement that has to be signed to buy it. I did not buy it from you, it was sent to me by a Garden web member.I have no idea where he got it from but he is a home grower also so I am sure he did not buy it from you as you have a 10 plant minimum.

Far as I know the grape is not patented.......correct?

This post was edited by bamboo_rabbit on Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 10:43

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 10:05AM
flatwoods_farm(9A Riverview, F)

Do you remember that growers name or what town he is from? I keep all records of past sales; he seems to know details that not many people know.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 11:26AM
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

Sombody is going to prison. Do not pass go. do not get $200.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 12:00PM

Flatwoods,

He did not tell me any details on the grape, this one was listed as native Florida V. shuttleworthii x Catawba. I googled that and after some looking that led me to the UC Davis national grape registry which lists your name as a source of them and that the name you use for the grape is trademark pending.

I did a patent search and this grape is not patented that I can find.

I understand your concern and of course I remember who I got it from and I know he got it from his father but they are just home growers like myself.

If you can show me a patent on the variety in your name I will try to back track it for you as I always respect patents. But I do not believe the variety is patented. Is it not one of the old non patented varieties developed by the University of Florida?

If you want to discuss it further feel free to email me. I really would like more details on the vine.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 1:02PM
More Discussions
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™