2012 seedless grape pictures

fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TXJuly 7, 2012

Have a good crop on vines planted last year. Plants are in 12 gallon pots so I can have more control over vigor. In ground grapes in the past were too vigorous in the greenhouse.

So far only Jupiter and Summer Muscat are ripe enough to taste. Jupiter is very good but has a bit of funky taste in the skin. Summer Muscat has fabulous flavor and is supper sweet. Think I have a new favorite grape, Summer Muscat!!!

Biggest fruit are Summer Royal, Princess, and Autumn Royal.

A general shot. The plants are all in a line on 32ft of trellis.

Jupiter in hand and and my old favorite Summer Royal. Summer Royal has big fruit and a nice open cluster.

Jupiter and the large fruited yellow Princess.

Autumn Royal has big fruit and clusters but they are kinda tight.

Crimson Seedless doesn't color well and hasn't fully sized up. It matures in October and holds until January.

Jupiter, the yellow Summer Muscat, and red Flame.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
riverman1

Man those look beautiful fruitnut! Beautiful.........I love table grapes.

I live in a small town with 160 wineries so you can imagine the acreage we have here with grapes, miles and miles of them.

RM

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 3:49PM
denninmi(8a)

Neat. I'm always amazed at the way European table grapes can hold so long. Our V. lambrusca grapes, as you no doubt know, will keep maybe a week in refrigerated storage when ripe.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 3:57PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

The summer ripening among these hold about a month. Then the taste usually starts going bad. Crimson seedless holds just as well on the vine in the greenhouse as in the frig. The greenhouse after Nov 1 is pretty cool as that is chill cycle.

I just ate a few more Jupiter. They'd be better to me if I spit out the skins. The skin is pretty nasty. Don't know if I'll even keep this one. Summer Muscat has vastly superior flavor for my taste and they appear to ripen about the same time.

Another thing about Jupiter is it leafed out and bloomed well before the others. That would be way too soon outside here. Muscat of Alexandria leafed out well after all the others, at least a month after Jupiter. It would be a good candidate for an outside grape. Those berries are just swelling and starting to color. I hope it tastes as good as Summer Muscat but it is seeded.

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 5:27PM
steve_in_los_osos

I am intrigued by the physical arrangement. Could we see a more distant view for some perspective?

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 6:11PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

steve:

Does this picture taken in spring help any?

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 7:30PM
steve_in_los_osos

Wow! Thanks :-)

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 12:05AM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Steve:

I love the grapes overhead. So do most that visit. They can take the heat up high. I'm sure it's over 100F that high every day on the warm end of the greenhouse.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 10:44AM
berry_bob

WOW fruitnut , from what I have read grapes don't do well in pots cus of a deep tap root , How big are those pots? I can get all the cattle lick tubs ( 30 gal) I want for free .

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 12:57PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

The grapes look gorgeous.....

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 1:27PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Berry Bob:

Those 30 gal cattle lick tubs are twice the size of mine and deeper. My buddy has all his grapes in them. The media depth in mine is no more than 12-13 inches.

Grapes don't have a tap root, at least not those started from cuttings. So that covers all but a wild seedling. And even if they did it won't affect results in a pot. Roots are roots they just need to take up water and nutrients.

I've grown a few things in the 30 gal tubs and they've done great. You need a well draining mix in any pot. Get that and grapes will grow great in tubs or smaller pots.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 3:18PM
berry_bob

ok Thanks

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 3:54PM
More Discussions
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™