Fruit Tree Spraying Question

awesometastic1July 24, 2012

So I'm a complete nube that planted a variety of fruit trees in my back yard this spring (all 3-5 years old, bare-root) and they were all doing fantastic, but I recently started seeing some issues with the leaves on my apple and pear trees with the leaves curling and eventually turning yellow/black and falling off and what not.

In the beginning, I thought it was just from them being over watered (it literally rained for about 1 1/2 months straight, nearly every day here randomly and despite it being May and June it was quite cold out; Western Washington this year had weird weather). I noticed a lot of trees in my area seemed not able to decide weather it was fall or spring/summer. But once the leaves started turning black, despite it being ridiculously sunny most of July, I figured there must be some other problem. So I went down to the store and bought a general purpose all-in-one fruit tree spray.

So here's my stupid question. On the instructions it says "spray in 7-14 day schedule until the problem disappears". So am I to read that as "spray once a day for 7-14 days until the problem disappears" or "spray once every 7-14 days until the problem disappears"?

Right now I've kind of gone with the half way between the two approach, spraying the trees three times in two weeks, which I figured was OK, because in the middle it rained really hard for a few days, presumably washing away the spray on the leaves. I have seen some good results too from spraying so far. But now that it's back to being sunny, I figured I should ask here before accidentally damaging my trees from over spraying or under-spraying them and allowing the disease or insect or whatever to continue to harm them.

Also any other spraying or other tips for fruit trees would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

Do NOT spray once a day!

The instructions mean to spray every 7-14 days. But don't do that, either. The stuff in that all-in-one spray may not address your problem and may cause additional problems.

First, find out what's really wrong.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 4:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
awesometastic1

Ok here's a gallery of the leaves on three apples and one pear: http://imgur.com/a/0SPXv (click on the pics to zoom in closer)

The trees seem to be doing overall much better since I sprayed them (before they had many black leaves that have now fallen off and most of the new and remaining leaves are showing less and less sign of a problem).

But anyways, any idea what's actually causing the problem?

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 4:37PM
More Discussions
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™