Damson Plums

hermiona76July 12, 2014

Hi everyone,
Does anyone knows where can I get some damson plums in Georgia? I'm not looking for a tree, but for actual fruit. Want to make some jam, but I can't find this type of plums anywhere. I live about 25 miles north of Atlanta, does anyone knows someone around this area that ma be growing this type of plum? Help would be very much appreciated!! Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Plums are hard to grow there and Damsons are pretty uncommon anywhere so I doubt there are any you could find in your area. I would look for any plum, you will still get some great jam if you can find ripe plums.

Scott

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 11:22PM
appleseed70

Good luck finding fresh Damson plums for sale. I read an article last year about a couple who started a business making and selling Damson gin. It took off so well they had to go out and secure feedstock for their enterprise. They shopped farmers markets all over the place to find folks who could supply them with fresh Damsons and then contracted them. They claimed it was the most difficult aspect of starting their business...finding a source for the plums. I think they are more common in the U.K., and used to be very common in the USA years ago.
I have a Damson plum tree and I love them, I'll be picking them soon, but I'm keeping them. It's my largest, most healthy and trouble free fruit tree I've ever had.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 12:53AM
appleseed70

Damson plums southern limit is about Z7, so I'd be very surprised if you found them in Georgia.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 12:56AM
hermiona76

Wow, didn't think it would be that difficult to find them......I'm from Europe and damsons are very common, so I thought I would get a taste of home by making some damson plum jam; it doesn't quite look like its going to happen ð Thanks everyone for your help!

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 6:28AM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

You try Willis nursery in Cartersville Ga. they in Bartow county I-75 north you, they may no about large planting in area. A lot grower grow green plums around atlanta. The farmer market good place to look and talk about what looking for.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 11:03PM
alan haigh

Adams nursery sells or used to sell Damson trees, so they may know of the nearest grower. I grow them in southern NY and there are a few commercial growers that do the same upstate here. I wonder if they can't be grown in higher elevations as far south as Georgia as they are easy here, even on our hottest summers.

If you are in NY in Sept. I can maybe set you up with some. They do make the best preserves of any plum I've tried for the purpose, but it only becomes clear with a side by side comparison.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 5:41AM
More Discussions
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™