Is this a Serviceberry?

canadianplantJuly 27, 2013

There is a tree I always assumed was a pin cherry down the street from me. About 15 or 20 feet tall, light grey bark with nice white flowers in spring. IT has a very interesting shape. I took a picture with my phone the other day so I can post it here to ask what kind of cherry it was.

Anyways, i get a good look at the picture blown up on my computer. The fruits are definitely not cherry at all. They in my eyes are sask. berries. I know A altinofilia is a varied species in the truest sense and there are some native amalancier species here, but I am guessing it is A Canadiensis. Can anyone confirm based on this picture? I can take more easily.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Yup. Amelanchier C or something in that genus. Eat them

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 5:08PM
canadianplant

The tree is pretty big and old. Im going to take some cuttings and ome fruit for seed. Im starting to love this species.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 6:34PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

The one we have is tall and limber. I use the pole pruners to ease the tops down. I then hold it down and my kids and i go nuts over them. The one we have starts off with a rosey perfumeyness and the darker berries taste like a malay apple. I love them

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 6:52PM
canadianplant

I have not had the pleasure of tasting the berries yet. I do have 3 plants in my garden (Smokey and regent), both altinofolia. Smokey is supposed to be the best for commercial growing. I wont eat the berries there, because its right beside one of the busiest streets in town.

I cant want to see it flower so i have a better idea.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 8:21PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

I have theta, jefferson and Yamhill. Yamhill is the most vigorous I have and love the same soil/light as my honeyberries. Full Am sun till 12, sun again at 3pm on.

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 11:58AM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

oops, my mistake with hazelnuts...nevermind

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 11:59AM
More Discussions
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
My Backyard planting experience (so far) - Zone 4a/b Quebec, Cana
Hello all, When starting out I have found this forum...
hungryfrozencanuck
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™