Abate Fetel Pears

mrsg47(7)July 1, 2013

This pear looks magnifcent. How long before it fruits? I do have a multi-grafted pear that has Bartlett on it for a pollinizer. My Abate Fetel would go right next to it. Is there any such thing as precocity in European pears? Thanks Mrs. G PS will it grow well in my zone and taste good? Thanks again

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Hi! For precocity, Harrow sweet, Tennesee. My Tennesseee has
pears @ 3rd yr., 8-9' tall. My Harrow sweet 2ndyr, I pruned all pears off of my HS, since they are only 3-4' tall. I got 10 HS last year from cummins and they sold me small, 2' ones. That was the only size available, and cost less. I've pushed them with Nitrogen, kelp, mulching and drip irrigation, so maybe next year I'll keep a couple.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 4:32PM
mrsg47(7)

Noogs, I really like the long strange shape of the French pear. I take it they are slow to fruit, My combo Euro pear (five varieties is thriving.) It is now over six feet tall and just went in a year ago. The seckel bloomed the first year (dropped all flowers and buds) only the bartlett flowered this spring and all of the flower clusters fell off. Do not know what to expect from the tree next year. I am the only one I know here that really likes pears so I just want one more tree. Mrs. G

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 5:25PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

I have about 20 Tennessee's, and 12 bartlett pears in progress, so I know what waiting is all about! And Corvallis' site doesn't break down varieties for precocity. I thought concorde or the other long one...conference, though british is precocious, i think.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 9:58PM
mrsg47(7)

My first choice is Concorde, but I can't find them for sale here. Ugh.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 10:38PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

I thought raintree had them on sale this year.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 10:40PM
mrsg47(7)

Thanks Noogs, I'll check this fall. :)

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 11:16PM
maryhawkins99

Noogy, where did you get your Tennessee's?

I'd try Abate fetel here; I believe someone is Austin grew them; but I'm just not sure about its fireblight resistance.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 1:13PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

I got them @ raintree. I'll have wood in feb. E-mail me and I'll send you some

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 1:25PM
mrsg47(7)

Thanks Noogs! :)

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 9:20PM
mrsg47(7)

Noogy was reading about heirloom pears and pears in general. It seems we are losing a lot of old, 'heirloom' varieties. Is this why you collect them? We need more pear collectors! Mrs. G

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 9:25AM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

I'm just trialing varieties to find out what does best here. After the collapse of the pear industry in Mi due to FB in a GOOD FRUIT Grower edition and I thought it a plain shame. There are also better cultural approaches and am trying them out. Scottsmith has some that I'd like too. It's important to safeguard the gifts we receive from nature as things might change in the future.And its fun.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 11:44AM
mrsg47(7)

No kidding. The pear is so appreciated in France and Italy. It is a sweeter treat than plums or figs. I know our apple industry took over as the first place winner of fruits, but they threw it over for the 'Queen or King of Fruits', the pear. Too bad.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 9:30AM
bob_z6(6b/7a SW CT)

I'm not sure if you have Abate Fetel pears in stores near you, but I've gotten them several times at Whole Foods (usually grown in South America). I've found them pretty middle-of-the-road- not bad, but nothing all that impressive. The pear I've liked the most is Concorde, followed by Bosc, Taylor's Gold, and Comice. From what I understand, all 4 are pretty susceptible to fireblight. In fact, it was an article from GoodFruitGrower which kept me from getting a Concorde. Last year, they were available at Grandpa's Orchard on OHxF 87 or 97 (I don't recall which).

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 12:03PM
mrsg47(7)

Thanks Bob. Paying attention to fireblight is important and something I really do not want to introduce into my orchard. We do not have any fancy 'special' fruit in our produce departments in Newport, RI. We have to go to Mass. to buy specialty items, or drive closer to Providence. That may sound surprising given the tourists and popularity of the city during the summer. I have had no way of trying any of these pears, and that goes for all of the fruit I am currently growing. (Except when traveling). I have a Comice. Perhaps a bosc is the closest I can get to an elongated pear without much danger of fireblight. thank you so much! Mrs. G

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 12:18PM
maryhawkins99

I bought one at Whole Foods this morning. It's pretty good. I'd grow it if I wasn't afraid of fireblight.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 2:09PM
glib(5.5)

It is a hard pear, very sweet, but texture is mediocre. Nothing special compared to any comice pear.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 3:31PM
More Discussions
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Urgent grafting advice: Experiment Antonovka +/- B9 interstem
You can read my previous posts to see photos of my...
hungryfrozencanuck
Window blinds, fence wire, electric engraver, drill, and pliers
What can make with window blinds, fence wire, electric...
2010champsbcs
what kind of fruit tree is this?
My guess is some type of peach, but the fruit is throwing...
surferguata
Thinning Pears
I have several varieties of pear trees (Bartlett, Comics,...
walterdavidwilson
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™