what to plant for tall canopy?

cousinfloydJuly 25, 2013

I've got a couple little clearings in the middle of tall hardwood stands that I've been wondering about whether I could plant something. Some of these spots might get up to 4 or 5 hours of sunlight now, but the canopy will probably close in more with time, so unless the tree I planted could get pretty tall it probably wouldn't get much sunlight for long. Is there anything edible I could plant that would do well? I know there are some shade tolerant edibles, but I'm more interested in trees that might compete to some degree in a tall canopy. A grafted hickory was one thought, although I might need to plant hickories out in the open if I don't want the squirrels to get them all. Is my best bet just to grow lumber? What about a native persimmon? I know it wouldn't really compete with oaks, but would it do any good? Are persimmons too slow growing to take advantage of a temporary opening?
Thanks!
Eric

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canadianplant

I would try some of the species magnolia (yes im know, not a fruit tree).

My first thought are a type of edible oak. They are late in terms of succession and can take quite a bit of shade before growing in sun. Same idea for chestnuts and hickory (which i would try myself in your situation). May want to try some other nut trees as well. I belive ive read texas persimmion or american persimmion taking shade, at least when young.

What about pawpaw?

Bookmark   July 25, 2013 at 5:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bradybb(wa8)

Mulberry trees can get big.Like to climb? Brady

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 1:12AM
More Discussions
3 of my callery pear cuttings now have leaves unfurling?
I took several callery pear tree cuttings on jan 10...
tlbean2004
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™