Yellowing leaves on my apricot tree

tomatohyjinks(8)July 1, 2012

What's wrong with my apricot tree? this was transplanted about 4 months ago and has been doing fine until now. the weather is hot, 100-105 degrees. The soil around the tree is moist from this morning's watering. I increased the watering time on my sprinkler system recently to try and save my grass, could I be drowning my apricot tree? Or is this a sign of some other kind of stress/problem?

HELP!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

That's probably heat/drought stress. If your grass is turning brown, that may mean your tree isn't getting enough water. A newly planted tree doesn't compete well with grass, weeds, or nearby big trees. They suck the water right out from under your tree.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 5:51PM
tomatohyjinks(8)

Thank you, I think you may be correct. my grass is really struggling as well, but the grass directly next to the tree is green and healthy. There's about 2 ft of mulch around the trunk of the tree between it and the grass. the rest of my lawn is brown. I dug a small hole on the edge of the mulch by the grass an the ground is dry, dry, dry. Will the tree produce leaves again if these ones drop?

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 6:04PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Some of mine look like that and I expect them to be OK. These are trees recently moved from the greenhouse to the outdoors. Your tree will grow more, put on more leaves, if conditions warrant. More water should help. But not more every day. A good soaking once or twice a week, to supplement lawn water, would help most.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 8:07PM
tomatohyjinks(8)

Thanks guys, I have a lot invested in this tree and want to do everything I can to help it. I've attached another pic of the leaves on the tree. I'll and another layer of mulch and make sure it gets a good soaking more often.

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 9:54PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I could post a picture of mine but it would look just like yours. Good luck!!

Bookmark   July 1, 2012 at 10:08PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I agree with everything said. A tree well watered will resist the sunburn you are seeing, much better. Your tree will be OK. Al

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 9:12AM
tomatohyjinks(8)

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. It's so darn difficult to find any relevant information on generic websites and search engines!

would some kind of foliage spray help at this point, or do I just leave it along and try not to kill it with kindness? it was fertilized with 13-7-7 solution in May.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 3:25PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Water is all it needs right now. Fertilize this fall or next spring if you aren't getting enough growth. If it's growing enough, just water.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
Help understanding huckleberries
I recently enjoyed some huckleberry pie and was pleasantly...
pushindirt
Looking for Carmine Jewel Cherries?
I know a lot of people are looking for carmine jewel...
clarkinks
Blueberry help!
What's going on with this blueberry bush? Is it going...
julia_scheidt
KNNN espalier planting
Hi - I just planted some 1 year bare root apple trees....
Jamie Cartwright
Getting rid of grape vines.
Is there something other than using a chemical to get...
marylmi
Sponsored Products
Westek Under Cabinet Lighting 36.02 in. Flourescent White Slim Line 21-Watt
$23.12 | Home Depot
Eye for Design Pillow Cover in Mustard
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Eastern Jungle Gym Classic A-Frame Swing Set Hardware Kit - CLASSIC HARDWARE KIT
$319.99 | Hayneedle
Tiffany-style Dragonfly Hanging Light
Overstock.com
Yellow Cotton Latex Garden Glove
$10.99 | zulily
Runner Rug: Aledo Beige 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
New Pakistani Super Kazak Hand Knotted Wool 3' X 10' Red Oriental Area Rug H5189
BH Sun Inc
Safavieh Contemporary Handmade Soho Brown/Multi New Zealand Wool Rug (6' Round)
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™