Waterlogged Fruit trees

HGFzone8July 26, 2013

It has rained down here for 24 of the last 30 days leaving my peach, cherry, and apples in waterlogged soil for a couple of weeks. The water is receding now.
The Morello and North Star cherry tree has lost all of its leafs and the Morello has dead branches albeit the North star still has green branches. half the peach trees have large amounts of leafs are turning yellow and dropping them. The two year old apple trees have a few yellow leafs. The mature apple trees still look good.
What do you think the chances of them living?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

They may leaf out again. This happened to one of my trees when it was waterlogged in the spring.

The real danger is that they may leaf out too late, so the tender growth gets hit by freezing weather.

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 5:39PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

I'd suggest starting over by planting on mounds at least 18 inches high. Even if your trees survive this bout they won't last long in those conditions.

Bookmark   July 26, 2013 at 6:17PM
ltilton

Depends a lot on whether those conditions are an anomaly or a regular occurence. Moving the trees now wouldn't help them, so starting over would involve new trees, not saving the existing ones.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 9:46AM
HGFzone8

Thanks for the thoughts. It hasn't happened this way for about 25 years. I have my fingers crossed they will leaf back out.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 3:40PM
ltilton

You have time. If they don't leaf back out, you'll know you have to replace them either this fall or next spring, on higher ground. If they do, you can decide whether to take the chance with them or not.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™