How to save grapes from bursting on vines?

homey_birdJuly 26, 2012

Hi,

I am a newbie to grapevines. I've had grapevines for a few years now, although this year is the first time my Flame Seedless has been fruiting.

I am awaiting grape harvest, while the grapes on my vine change color from green to purple/red, however, I also find that a lot of them in the cluster burst (possibly due to heat) and shrivel up.

I would eat them as raisins if it came to that, but I am still interested in eating juicy grapes if I can! Is this a common issue and what can be done to save those grapes?

Also while on this topic, I see grapes ripening unevenly. Some are ready and ripe while some are still very much green. Again, is this normal? When I look at commercial vineyards, I see that all grapes look same size....is there a secret to this?

A disclosure I owe is that I have not pruned my vines last year (I know how to and that I should but last year could not do so due to some life events happening during that time).

Thanks in advance!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

A number of fruits will split if water gets on the fruit when ripening. Is this the case with your grapes?

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 11:54PM
homey_bird

It could be; although I have watered the vine very sparingly. This would be one aspect I would be more careful about the next time I water them.

I also read up on eHow that underwatering is a cause too. If so, then what is the proper watering schedule? I do not see my vines stressed without water, in fact they've been growing like crazy (vegetative growth) while growing fruits.
Also, for good flavor, I thought it's better to not water them abundantly.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 8:41PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Powdery mildew causes grapes to split also.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 10:44PM
larry_gene

Water the ground only regardless of schedule. Repeated wetting/drying of foliage/fruit can promote mildew.

Do the commercial vineyards use overhead watering?

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 11:50PM
More Discussions
Early-Spring and General Spray Questions for 4-yr old Maryland Orchard
Hi all, I planted the following fruit trees in Spring...
lindsgardeninmd
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
Toxic Waste:
I have been told by a Nursery friend of mine not to...
loneranger_grow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™