Berry confused

ehooper2002July 2, 2012

Any thoughts on what these are? We have tons of rasberries growing, some around these berry's too. We also have blackberries growing but they are still green and on the other side of the yard. My first thought was that they were a blackberry, but if you look at the stem, it has the stem/top of a rasberry but what looks to be the body of a blackberry. We just recently moved into this house and have been loving the rasberries but I am confused on this berry. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

Well, technically, it's neither a raspberry nor a blackberry, it is one of the various species of dewberries found in N. America.

By convention as much as anything, I think people have adopted the term dewberry for the prostrate, vining plants, smaller in stature than blackberries. Some can be very thorny, some not so thorny. Most people consider them a weed, because they can spread pretty aggressively.

Functionally, the fruit is a blackberry, same basic flavor. They are small, but do make good preserves, etc. You can get somewhat better fruit size out of them by fertilizing and watering during the growing season, but yield will always be pretty low on a square foot basis as compared to cultivated and improved strains of blackberries.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dewberries explained via Wikipedia.

Bookmark   July 2, 2012 at 4:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

The fruit above does not look anything like western native dewberries. What region do you live in, ehooper?

Your plants could also be some seedling berry plant that started growing many years ago, sprouted from one of the nearby berry plants.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 12:27AM
More Discussions
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™