Apple grafting

fruitluvr13(SoCal 10)July 28, 2012

Hi I have an apple tree in my backyard and I don't know what kind it is but the apples taste pretty gross so I wondering if it would be possible to graft a better tasting apple on to it. If so what apples would fruit best in my area. I live in zone 10 southern california.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goyo626 S.Cal.8b/SZ20

Yes, you can graft over the apple. As for the zone I am guessing your talking about usda hardiness zone and not sunset zone. I can't really guide you toward a particular variety because I don't know what kind of characteristics you are looking for in an apple. You must also take into account having a suitable pollinator for your varieties. However, a resource I have found helpful in finding suitable varieties for my area and taste is kuffelcreek apple nursery, they list the 20 apple varieties that are favorited by a grower who operates in riverside california. I am sure some of the more experienced people can help you out with better info, as well as places where you can acquire scionwood.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 6:57PM
sam_ny(5)

The guy from Kuffel Creek also has some helpful videos about grafting on YouTube.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 11:03AM
goyo626 S.Cal.8b/SZ20

Also, if you need literature on vegetative propagation (grafting and other techniques) Google "vegetative propagation techniques" the pdf was quite useful for me.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
conflicting pawpaw spacing info
Last week I planted several dozen paw paw. I had read...
Edwin Turlington
Indoor Spring Start To Raspberries
Hi...under advisement from Cornell University, they...
Greenhorn2
Apricots, Hunza and Manchurian blossom and flowering.
Hi, I live in Oslo, Norway, which is around a 5b or...
roots_feeding
hard freeze coming & peach trees are blooming!
any tricks for saving the fruit?? this happened last...
rober49
Questions on American Plum, Chickasaw Plum, & Beach Plum
Hi, I have limited space and will definitely be planting...
njbiology
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™