Apple grafting

fruitluvr13(SoCal 10)July 28, 2012

Hi I have an apple tree in my backyard and I don't know what kind it is but the apples taste pretty gross so I wondering if it would be possible to graft a better tasting apple on to it. If so what apples would fruit best in my area. I live in zone 10 southern california.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goyo626 S.Cal.8b/SZ20

Yes, you can graft over the apple. As for the zone I am guessing your talking about usda hardiness zone and not sunset zone. I can't really guide you toward a particular variety because I don't know what kind of characteristics you are looking for in an apple. You must also take into account having a suitable pollinator for your varieties. However, a resource I have found helpful in finding suitable varieties for my area and taste is kuffelcreek apple nursery, they list the 20 apple varieties that are favorited by a grower who operates in riverside california. I am sure some of the more experienced people can help you out with better info, as well as places where you can acquire scionwood.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 6:57PM
sam_ny(5)

The guy from Kuffel Creek also has some helpful videos about grafting on YouTube.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 11:03AM
goyo626 S.Cal.8b/SZ20

Also, if you need literature on vegetative propagation (grafting and other techniques) Google "vegetative propagation techniques" the pdf was quite useful for me.

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™