Help ID these wild berries

rawley_gwJuly 24, 2014

Hi all,

Back again with some wild berries I have found on our property. I think I know what they are, but want to get some expert opinions if I am correct and if they are edible.

Here is the first picture, which I think is some type of wild blackberry. Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rawley_gw

Second photo I think is some type of wild cherry?

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 5:22PM
rawley_gw

The last one I think is a mulberry?

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 5:24PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

I think you got all three right! Unsure of species?

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 9:40PM
ericwi

I think you are correct, except that the cherry is likely not wild. I suspect that black cherries are a cultivar of some sort.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 10:24PM
appleseed70

Yup, yup and yup. I agree with Eric though, the cherry is likely a chance seedling. Are the cherries any good, or quite sour?
I'm surprised the birds left any on the tree. I guess that's how you know it wasn't cultivated...LOL!

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 12:40AM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

There is no scale and the fruit stems are not very clear but as far as I can tell the cherries are growing in racemes and the leaves are not matt. So they will be a wild type.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 5:18AM
rawley_gw

Thanks to everyone for confirming my guesses. I did try one of those wild cherries and they were probably the tartest thing I have every tasted in my life. Definitely a reason the birds are leaving them alone! The wild blackberries are a different story. I was pleasantly surprised by those. The ones which were fully to just over ripe were really sweet and had great flavor. Found a huge patch of them along our woods, so we are in luck! If the wild berries are this good, can't wait for my Triple Crown berries to ripen in a few weeks! BTW, do wild black berries spread by tip rooting like the TC's?

Thanks again!

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 8:55AM
paully1(6A)

If the cherries are growing in racemes, then it is likely some kind of choke-cherry. Not worth eating fresh, but they make an excellent jelly.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 11:19AM
HighlanderNorth

You may be a little disappointed in the off-the-vine flavor of your Triple Crown blackberries, as from my experience having grown them and other trailing thornless types, they arent very sweet per se. You have to pick them at just the right time in order to get any sweetness, and if they appear fully dark colored, but still slightly hard, they may not be ready yet. So you cant necessarily always go by the color of the berries alone. You have to wait til they have turned dark purple and the individual berries have swollen somewhat before they are fully ripe. Even then they wont be as sweet as a black raspberry for instance.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 1:31PM
Mister_Detail

I want to say that the first photo is of what is called a "wine berry". I am pretty sure of this because our 10 yr. old daughter just finished a week of nature camp and the director told her that they are edible but a little on the tart side.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 3:35PM
mrsg47(7)

The first photo is NOT a wineberry. Its a wild blackberry. Mrs. G

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 8:05PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

"You may be a little disappointed in the off-the-vine flavor of your Triple Crown "

No you won't! One of the best blackberries around, Top rate!

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™