Container growing Rainier cherries questions

nopeda123July 31, 2012

Hi,

I'm interested in growing some Rainier cherries in containers on top of a houseboat just north of Atlanta, GA. Can anyone suggest forums and web pages that would be good places to learn about them? I know almost nothing about them, but the time for planting is coming up soon is it not? I'd like to grow two trees in pots that are about 17" across by 16" deep. Will that be big enough? What sort of soil to get, and how best to fertilize? Where should I look to try to find plants? I heard that we should look for a plant that has already been pruned. Can anyone tell me if that's a significant consideration, and if so explain why? Any other info and advice people are willing to share would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

David

Buford, GA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

David:

You need a pollinator, possibly Lapins, Sandra Rose, or Bing. Disease and splitting of the fruit will be significant issues. Mine have worked well in that size container.

Tree size.

Rainier and Bing on tree above.

The harvested fruit.

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 7:45PM
nopeda123

>David:

>You need a pollinator, possibly Lapins, Sandra Rose, or Bing. Disease and
>splitting of the fruit will be significant issues. Mine have worked well in that
>size container.

Thank you for that! In another forum people told me there are no Bing or Ranier trees small enough. So what specifically should I look for, and where to look? Also, what about pruning roots and stuff like that? Do you know any websites about it? I don't know what to feed or what type soil or anything...was just trying to find out if it's even worth attempting. Any more info you can give would be great, since so far the only positive info I've gotten is from you and it looks like you've got some trees doing fine. I don't know what a pollinator is either...

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 3:24PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

David:

In your climate sweet cherries are very difficult. So my advice would be to grow something else. Mine are being grown in a greenhouse in a dry climate.

Your soil in a container needs to be very well draining. Check with the container forum.

A pollinator is a variety with pollen that will set fruit on Rainier. Both Bing and Rainier will set zero fruit unless they have pollen from another compatible variety. They will pollinate each other. Lapins and Sandra Rose are self fertile so will pollinate themselves or any other mentioned. And they have fruit as good as Bing and Rainier.

You'll do much better in that area with peaches.

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 3:35PM
More Discussions
Blackberries in the age of SWD
It seems that spotted wing Drosophila is making blackberry...
marc5
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
Damage to Honeycrisp tree (photo)
I planted this Honeycrisp apple tree a week ago and...
Edwin Turlington
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™