Grapevine disease, is it too late to save?

garden_tinkJuly 8, 2012

This picture best describes the state of my entire vine except for new growth at the top of the canopy with itty bitty clusters forming, is it to late to apply a fungicide to save the fruit? Will the fruit still be edible? The grapes on the majority of clusters are about 1/4 to 1/2 inch in diameter. The leaves are a little worse off than this pic, some very grayish, most with brown spots / areas. Comments and advice much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Oops, no picture. Please try again.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 6:52PM
garden_tink

Trying to send again

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 7:02PM
garden_tink

My actual vine from under the canopy.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 7:05PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

Looks to me like your fruit and vines are covered in a massive case of powdery mildew. There is no saving the fruit at this point. You might try to salvage enough leaves to muster a crop next year.

For control you need to start back in early spring. UC Davis has good guidelines.

Here is a link that might be useful: powdery mildew

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 8:16PM
garden_tink

Thank you fruitnut, what about the cane, should I prune it back in the fall? Now? What do you mean by saving a few leaves? The cane appears affected as well on closer inspection and comparison to images of diseased specimens online. I am a first time grower, I read plenty, somehow missed the spring prep and diseases to watch for. This vine is on an arbor (no shade) and is 8 feet tall by 15 feet in length (the vine). Thanks again for the link, I'll check it out. Just wondering what to do in the interim with a bum crop.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 9:11PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

The fruit, leaves, and canes can be infected, yours are badly. Your fruit is beyond saving so remove all of it now. Spraying sulfur or another fungicide from the link above now might help maintain some leaves to strength the vine for next years crop. Don't worry about what's on the canes and don't prune off anything now except do remove all fruit. It will just rot later if not removed and is draining the vine. You will need to do your normal pruning next winter.

If it were me I'd get one of the strong systemic fungicides and spray as directed the rest of this year. Not sure it will help but won't hurt. The link above recommends many classes of fungicide, chose one of those.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 10:15PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

In case I wasn't specific enough the best fungicides are Elite, Procure, Rally, Rubigan, Abound, Flint, Sovran, and Pristine or others with those active ingredients. Spray one of these to try to keep the leaves alive. Don't remove any leaves except you can burn or dispose of dead ones. You need the leaves and canes now to store carbohydrates for next years crop. Removing the fruit will reduce the drain on the plant.

Bookmark   July 8, 2012 at 10:33PM
More Discussions
Help... pest eggs on orange fruits
Orange fruits got quite some eggs on them. I have searched...
funlul
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™