New melon call honey kiss. Just WOW.

sunny_orchard(7A_VA)July 9, 2013

Hi all,

This is the second time i bought this melon. I got them at the asian supermarket. Looks exactly like Honey Kiss Melon. They are so good. Crispy like asian pear, very very sweet, refreshing. I don't think I have eaten any melon that's as good IMO. Cantalope are just bland since i start eating these. However it's $7 each they are kind of pricey for me. Does anyone know if it come true from seed? or where to buy these seeds? Just wow. I'll know if they come true from seed soon enough (if the deers don't wipe them out like everything else.)

Kenny

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolync1(z8/9 CA inland)

Honey Kiss is described as a Hami melon. It is probably a proprietary hybrid. I'm growing a hybrid Hami type for the first time this year. Hamis are storage melons so this one went in my second planting. Link below.

I have grown "Extra Summer Sweet" from the same site, and have some planted this year. A great little melon. Beautiful, too. Not a crispy type. Brix may be high enough for Fruit Nut. Next year, I may try "Sweet Honda".

If you're saving seeds from a hybrid, you may not get anything close to the melon you're eating this year. I planted seeds from a hybrid specialty melon one year and got a very strange assortment of melons - not much like the F1 parent at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hami Sweet Hybrid melon

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 12:55AM
conchitaFL(10 Hutchinson Island)

sunny-orchard, how did that work out for you?

Curious, because I'd saved a couple of seeds from a honey kiss, got tired of running into them every time I cleaned up, and last Fri I tossed them out into a bare spot in one of my beds, not really expecting anything since the ground is still scorching hot here.

They came roaring up overnight and are already starting on their first real leaves this morning. Very vigorous little plants, but I do wonder what kind of fruit they will produce.

Bookmark   September 2, 2014 at 9:47AM
sunny_orchard(7A_VA)

Carolyn is absolutely right. The melon that came from hybrid seed was horrible. They came out to be honey dew and tasteless. Most of the plants died b4 the melon were ripe.

Bookmark   September 2, 2014 at 9:53AM

Thanks very much. I figured they'd probably turn out to be more of a traditional oriental type.

Bookmark   September 2, 2014 at 10:04AM

Just thought I'd update this to say that while they grew like crazy (3 inches the first week!) they didn't like our rainy weather at all, so I snipped 'em off before they could spread powdery mildew everywhere. Didn't seem to have even minimal resistance to it.

Bookmark   September 17, 2014 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
WHO called glyphosate a "probable carcinogen"
More and more studies seem to be coming out against...
canadianplant
Blueberries on a slope, how to grade soil?
Hey everyone, I was planting blueberries on a sloped...
towsonite
Plum Tree Experts!!! Is this gonna turn into a fruit?
I have some buds on my plum tree that look like this. Do...
tlbean2004
Help, fuzzy scion wood
Hi all, I got apple scions from ARS last week and was...
zendog
Root control bag to control Mulberry tree size
Hi, I am planning to use a root control bag to limit...
roots_feeding
Sponsored Products
Remer by Nameeks K11G Single Hole Bathroom Faucet - REMER K11G
$108.64 | Hayneedle
Bolero 120 Down MP Pendant by Bruck Lighting Systems
$327.20 | Lumens
Bruck | Chroma Houston M LED Pendant Light
$371.25 | YLighting
Cristello Pendant by Bruck Lighting Systems
$508.00 | Lumens
Havana Down LED Pendant
Lightology
Indoor Area Rug: OMG Kiss Flame 7' 10" x 11' 2" Plush
Home Depot
Hand-tufted Karastan UBeR Shag Sun Kiss Polyester Rug (8' x 11")
Overstock.com
Clown Kiss Salt & Pepper Shakers
$10.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™