late blueberries lacking quality

alan haighJuly 24, 2012

Strange season, this one. Blueberries started out very good but they've really flattened out and are bland and making me blue. Frost eliminated most of my summer tree fruit so I am disappointed to be once again disappointed.

Elliot is ripening about a month early but the fruit is barely worth picking and some unseen insect (I'm thinking wasp) is slashing fruit and making them soft and mushy. No worms inside damaged fruit though (thus, the wasp theory). Berkley is usually very high quality, but not this year.

I don't know if it's the high heat but we aren't breaking records here the way it is in much of the middle of the country. I've had better berries in just as hot of weather but maybe it's the combination or crazy early spring with the heat that is the problem. Rabbiteyes would probably do better on a season like this then the later highbush varieties.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

Well, it's been hot enough here! Detroit has had 5 days above 100, when our normal is one day ever 2 1/2 years.

I did NOT water blueberries. Going into June, they had sufficient water and good soil moisture reserve. And, of course, I fell for the same weatherman's siren song as always "tomorrow it's going to rain", when in fact it never does rain. So now they're small.

And, with hot weather, they are also very sweet but pretty bland. Not any worse than overwatered and overfertilized commercial production berries. At least they're something. Something is better than nothing.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 6:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Same here, bland and sweet on the later ones. Early ones were good.

Scott

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Will these plum tree buds be damaged by frosts we will have next week
This is my bruce plum tree. The buds have started to...
tlbean2004
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
What type of grafting tape do you use?
Last year I used electric tape and got about 98% success...
Mike Hughes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™