How to Ripen Elephant Heart Plums?

jacqueline9CAJuly 14, 2013

I am hoping some of you can help with this problem. We have a small elephant heart plum tree (actually it is a wild plum with elephant heart plums growing on it because it was grafted). Anyway, it is bearing lots of plums. The problem is that each year the bluejays, raccoons, & other critters get 90% of the plums - I think they know to the minute when they are ripe. So, my question is: can these plums be picked before they are ripe and then ripened in my kitchen, like tomatoes, or not? If yes, what is the best method? Thanks very much for your help - sorry I am so ignorant.

Jackie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Jackie, Japanese plums picked a bit early and left to sit out will be edible but will not taste as good as tree-ripened ones. If its that or nothing then that may be your only option. I never pick my plums early, I'd rather get a third of them as ripe plums than a full load of underripe ones.

You should look into netting or otherwise protecting your trees. I have a plum ripening now and there is a squirrel trap right next to it and nuts all around the base of the tree to redirect the squirrel from plums to my trap.

Scott

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 12:37PM
jacqueline9CA

Thanks, Scott. That is exactly what I wanted to know. I hadn't thought about squirrels - we have loads of them. We also have a doe with a 2 week old fawn in tow who hangs out in that part of the garden.

I will try netting and see what happens - thanks again.

Jackie

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 6:43PM
sdpelletier(8b)

Do elephant heart plum trees have thorns? Is Santa Rosa really a good pollinator? How vigorous are the trees?

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 11:18PM
alan haigh

I recommend against black monofiliment netting and suggest you try a woven product such as provided by American netting, which sells 30X30' sections of the stuff.

It is more expensive but much easier to use- install it a couple of weeks before first ripening and remove immediately after harvest and it should last for years. You need to completely close off the tree and hope squirrels aren't hungry enough to chew through it.

Bookmark   March 10, 2014 at 7:04AM
More Discussions
Restoring old and neglected apricot trees. Help!
We moved into a new home in the middle of last summer...
monibucky
Jujube hardiness zones
According to Willisorchards.com the Li and Lang Jujube...
garprob1
Any idea what's causing this on my blueberry?
A couple of the newer branches are turning black at...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Apple Pruning Advice
Can someone tell me if it would be a good idea to prune...
Dan Liptak
new orchard - a few questions
I'd like to start a small orchard on a recently purchased...
Fiona Kerr
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Paloma
Home Depot
Percy Ottoman - Key Largo Pumice Beige
Joybird Furniture
Aqua White Rings Pouf
$79.99 | zulily
Elk Lighting Keys Desktop Clock - 51-0281
$70.00 | Hayneedle
Lancaster 22" x 13" Decorative Pillow
$149.00 | FRONTGATE