Large Larvae found in side the Rasberry fruit.

mehauser1July 4, 2013

Raspberry fruit being invaded.
On July 4th, we found a large larvae inside some of the fruit. Along with this, we have found on the fruit some small egg bunches and on other fruit a fairly firm 1/2 silver shell on some the other fruit but could not find anything underneath. We live in NW Washington.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

A raspberry is a small object, so by definition, the larva inside could not be "large". Fruit flies have been rampant in the region for several years and their larva can be found in many berries. Those larva can be 1/8 inch long and may look large for the size of a berry.

Fruit fly larva can be coaxed out of berries by putting the fruit in the fridge or in the freezer for some hours and then the larva can be removed with a toothpick.

The egg bunches could have been laid by stink bugs, and I don't know what a firm 1/2 silver shell is, perhaps you could re-word that.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 1:33AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Please post some pictures.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 2:20AM
HappyBallz(9A/B Valrico,Florida)

With exception of the things that look like mini-centipedes(no idea what they are) I really don't care about consuming bugs in my boysen/rasp/blackberries ...as long as I don't get any parasites I count it as extra free protein :)

Do you spray any insecticides? I was thinking about it but I don't want to kill beneficial pollinators since flowers don't come-up all at the same time.

Any pictures?

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 1:24PM
lawanddisorder(6)

Wow, you guys really eat berries with bugs in them and berries that you pulled bugs out of? Idk if maybe I'm a sissy, but that seems crazy.

I drop the bug infested berries and hope the birds and squirrels eat those instead of the good ones on the plant.

I gave some old guy/neighbor a strawberry a couple days ago and noticed a big bug hole in it as I handed it to him and mentioned it, and he gladly accepted it anyways and then sucked the larva out of the hole and into his mouth and spit it out, then ate the berry. I thought it was hilarious. and gross. and completely unnecessary as I had a couple pounds of clean berries that he was welcome to.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 4:28PM
larry_gene

Dropping infested fruit can be the worst thing to do, especially in the case of fruit flies; it just breeds more flies.

Now you have a new source of larva-berry disposal! Or maybe he was showing off and it was a 1-time deal.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
Looking for really early (blooming) pear
I have a Hood pear that blooms very early, usually...
jbclem
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™