Sick Pink Lady, need help IDing the cause

lovemyfruit(9)July 14, 2013

This is my second attempt at growing an apple tree. I had a Gala that developed the same problem last year and it never recovered. I am hoping to avoid the same fate with my Pink Lady. It is watered by drip irrigation. 3 times per week. It is fed monthly during the growing season. I sprayed for fungus up until June when we started having triple digit temps, but havent sprayed any insecticides. It gets 8+ hours/day of direct sun. I picked this cultivar because I had hoped that it would tolerate the heat. The leaf edges begin to brown until it takes over the whole leaf. It starts proximally, and so the new leaves appear to be the last ones affected. I have peach, pear, and nectarines in the near vicinity that are doing very well. Too little water? Fungal infection? Pest? Would love to hear your thoughts

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lovemyfruit(9)

Another pic.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 6:34PM
lovemyfruit(9)

And another

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 6:39PM
MrClint

The soil looks dry and bare. A moisture meter will eliminate guessing on when to water. Mulch out around the drip line but not against the trunk. Bare and dry soil is an invitation to mites and other pests that thrive in such an environment. Deep watering as needed is best for trees.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 7:24PM
applenut_gw

It does indeed look like heat damage, and it's not unusual to see a few of these type of leaves, especially at the onset of the high heat as the tree "hardens off" to it. Pink Lady does tolerate high temps and does fine in Phoenix and Las Vegas. If this tree is killed by it despite plenty of water, I would look to a root problem, such as gophers, cotton root rot, or wooly aphid. This usually affects the whole tree though, and the new growth would hang limp.

That being said I have 100+ apple varieties and all the trees themselves seem impervious to high heat (113F); however the apples have very mixed reactions to it, some baking to mush, some staying crisp and juicy. Heat alone should not be killing your apple trees.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 7:31PM
lovemyfruit(9)

Thanks for the suggestions. The tree is mulched, and the ground underneath the mulch generally feels moist, but I may not be watering deep enough. I'll try to do some deeper watering, and maybe a pesticide to see if I can get it through this summer.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 4:53AM
campv

I would not spray, it might send it over the edge, just water then water some more and watch

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 12:38PM
More Discussions
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Fungus on grapes from last season?
Near the end of last season my grape plants got a fungus...
frdnicholas
Blueberry leaves turning brown
The leaves of one of my southern highbush (Snowchaser...
julia_scheidt
Blue Berries-acid soil and other vegetable plants
I have been growing blue berry plants intermixed with...
RonCz
Lime and lemon tree Houston area?
Best lime and lemon tree for Houston area? What are...
johnfam
Sponsored Products
Parisienne Art Print
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Calhoun Leather Loveseat - Brighton Energy Pink
Joybird Furniture
Standard Furniture Bubblegum 6 Drawer Dresser w/ Mirror in White & Pink
Beyond Stores
Dale Tiffany Alexei 36" High Art Glass Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Black & Pink Ribbon Plate
$19.99 | zulily
Safavieh Handmade Heritage Oushak Light Green/Beige Wool Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™