Planting a grape stem

GrapeEaterJuly 5, 2012

A friend of mine offered me a grape stem she cut off her vine. The vine is obviously green this time of year. I trimmed it like your supposed to. It has 4 or 5 nodes on it I trimmed the bottom just up to the node and pruned off all of the side stems and leaves. I dipped the bottom in root developer and planted the stem. I am hoping it grows roots so I can transplant it! Has anyone else done this? and did it seem like I did the process correct.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

GrapeEater:

You did about what needs doing but the wrong time of year. You need to root dormant cuttings taken in winter. I suppose yours might grow but I'd not expect it to.

By the way I'm eating Jupiter grapes right now. Try planting that cultivar next spring. It's pretty good for a hardy seedless.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 7:01PM
GrapeEater

Is it true that is takes 5-6 years to get a full crop of grapes from your vines??? Because if so I am sad I killed mine this year....

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 7:29PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

My Jupiter is only the second leaf, ie the season after planting. But this is in a greenhouse. If your vines grow well you should get some fruit the 3rd year.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 9:21PM
mudflapper

I find that starting grape plants with leaves on then take better than the dormant ones...and in good soil I can get a small crop of berries by the second year...my Jupiter grapes are in there third year now...and are loaded!

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 2:51AM
myk1(5 IL)

"Is it true that is takes 5-6 years to get a full crop of grapes from your vines?"

It depends on the training system, how loyally you stick to it, luck of the growing season and how you got the vine.

I got well rooted from a local trained them Kniffen, didn't follow a multi-year pruning plan for the system rather filled it in the first year and had grapes the second year.
I planted bare root mail order, had a couple bad growing years plus dogs chewing them off short and it's taken 2 years to make it to the top wire on an 8' high T, I expect some grapes the 3rd year but I'll have to limit the amount I allow. I have another poorly rooted potted mail order planted last year that between the poor root system and 2 hot drought years probably won't make it halfway to the top wire this year, the way it's going that one could take 5-6 years if we keep on having no rain summers.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 2:57AM
More Discussions
pls recommend
Experienced Fruit Tree Growers, I suspect that all...
thecityman, Zone 7a/6b near Nashville
Urgent grafting advice: Experiment Antonovka +/- B9 interstem
You can read my previous posts to see photos of my...
hungryfrozencanuck
Plum Tree Experts!!! Is this gonna turn into a fruit?
I have some buds on my plum tree that look like this. Do...
tlbean2004
Blue Berries-acid soil and other vegetable plants
I have been growing blue berry plants intermixed with...
RonCz
Can I prevent Fire Blight the way I prevent Peach Leaf Curl?
Okay, so it's pretty easy to prevent peach leaf curl....
frostygardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™