Planting a grape stem

GrapeEaterJuly 5, 2012

A friend of mine offered me a grape stem she cut off her vine. The vine is obviously green this time of year. I trimmed it like your supposed to. It has 4 or 5 nodes on it I trimmed the bottom just up to the node and pruned off all of the side stems and leaves. I dipped the bottom in root developer and planted the stem. I am hoping it grows roots so I can transplant it! Has anyone else done this? and did it seem like I did the process correct.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

GrapeEater:

You did about what needs doing but the wrong time of year. You need to root dormant cuttings taken in winter. I suppose yours might grow but I'd not expect it to.

By the way I'm eating Jupiter grapes right now. Try planting that cultivar next spring. It's pretty good for a hardy seedless.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 7:01PM
GrapeEater

Is it true that is takes 5-6 years to get a full crop of grapes from your vines??? Because if so I am sad I killed mine this year....

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 7:29PM
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

My Jupiter is only the second leaf, ie the season after planting. But this is in a greenhouse. If your vines grow well you should get some fruit the 3rd year.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 9:21PM
mudflapper

I find that starting grape plants with leaves on then take better than the dormant ones...and in good soil I can get a small crop of berries by the second year...my Jupiter grapes are in there third year now...and are loaded!

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 2:51AM
myk1(5 IL)

"Is it true that is takes 5-6 years to get a full crop of grapes from your vines?"

It depends on the training system, how loyally you stick to it, luck of the growing season and how you got the vine.

I got well rooted from a local trained them Kniffen, didn't follow a multi-year pruning plan for the system rather filled it in the first year and had grapes the second year.
I planted bare root mail order, had a couple bad growing years plus dogs chewing them off short and it's taken 2 years to make it to the top wire on an 8' high T, I expect some grapes the 3rd year but I'll have to limit the amount I allow. I have another poorly rooted potted mail order planted last year that between the poor root system and 2 hot drought years probably won't make it halfway to the top wire this year, the way it's going that one could take 5-6 years if we keep on having no rain summers.

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 2:57AM
More Discussions
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
Last year I had no nectarines
What have I done right with this tree to give me so...
mrronny
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™