Has my cherry tree died, and rootstock taken over?

gr8heather(6b)July 2, 2013

I bought a "Sherry Cherry" tree from lowes the year before last. It's a dwarf that is supposed to be 15ft tall. It did well the first year, and had leafs and flowers this spring, but then the tree suddenly died. I suspect from my cats using it as a scratching post. I was going to tear it out when I noticed that a bunch of new little tree sprouts are coming up around the base. Will they be "sweet Sherry Cherries", or will they be suckers from the rootstock? If they are rootstock, do you think they will bear edible cherries?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Most likely suckers from root stock.

    Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 7:11PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™