Fruit-a-Palooza 2013

denninmi(8a)July 1, 2013

Unbelievable! Even after the June drop, everything is loaded to the max. Based on past year's experiences, I would say I will probably end up with somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-35 bushels of peaches, 15-ish of pears, a couple of bushels of plums, maybe 3/4ths of apricots, and probably 25-30 quarts of Balaton cherries. Probably 2 bushels of paw paws, too.

Then there are the small fruits. Strawberries are done, but raspberries are starting, blueberries are loaded. Ditto grapes, currants, gooseberries, blackberries, kiwi, etc. I have two goumis loaded and ripening.

Oh, it's also my year for black walnuts, probably end up with about 30 bushels of nuts after the hulls are removed.

All I can say is "Help Me!"

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Well it's SE MI so it's to be expected! :)

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 7:28PM
mrsg47(7)

All I can say is I want to buy your black walnuts! Mrs. G

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 8:42PM
denninmi(8a)

I forgot to mention the probably 50 bu of apples.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 8:52PM
Noogy(6 sw mi)

Let us know how the goumis turn out.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 10:14PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

I have a few wild black walnuts around my house, but I never harvest them because they are such a pain to process! When I say wild, I just mean volunteers that sprouted in the woods near my house. Probably from squirrels moving the nuts.

And if you do need help, I'm in Sterling Heights, no problem!

This post was edited by Drew51 on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 23:41

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 11:39PM
silent88

I'm jealous!

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 12:47AM
alan haigh

Same deal here where I was freeze fried last year in SE NY. I'm not ready to celebrate yet- all that's in is a few early apricots and a couple quarts of blueberries, but I've never spent nearly so much time thinning fruit here.

My clients who weren't frozen out last year have more a mixed bag. Generally, very good fruit set but some sites only moderate.

It's been an amazing early season. Very few biting insects until the mosquitos arrived, no ants in the house, regular, if a bit too much rain, great weather when plants needed pollinization, hardly any squirrels, etc, etc.

So you kinda expect a month of steady rain starting any day now to ruin everything. Actually, I don't expect it but I'm sure mentally prepared for some minor disaster to change this perfect projectery. Too good to be true if you don't live in Malibu.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 6:04AM
charlieboring

How do you keep your balck walnut trees from killing your other fruit trees? Are they not that close? I had to cut my black walnut because it killed everything aournd it.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 11:15AM
franktank232(z5 WI)

How many bushels of Honeycrisp? Should I just show up or do i need an appt? :) :) !

Good year here, even with all the rain. Apples look great, plums are full, apricots set way too many fruit...peaches are sizing up... the Seckel pear has a huge amount of fruit...

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 11:41AM
ltilton

Cautious diminution of pessimism here.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 11:49AM
quillfred

Sweeeeeet! Enjoy your bounty. You worked hard for it.

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 12:14PM
More Discussions
Toxic Waste:
I have been told by a Nursery friend of mine not to...
loneranger_grow
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Zone 5 fruit and nut trees Northeast, Nebraska
Hello, I have an acreage near Allen, NE and I would...
cheeta64
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™