How to "Sanitize" an area with virus infected raspberries

oldryderJuly 16, 2013

well; it's official. my 10 year old raspberry patch is infected. I'll still get some berries this year but approx. 1/2 the plants have the stunted fruit and yellowed leaves indicative of a virus.

I already started another patch a couple of hundred feet away with nursery plants.

Once I get whatever harvest I can this year I plan on cleaning out the raspberries and planting other things there next year.

I'm asking if there isd a recommended process or procedure for clearing out the infected plants. I thought I might treat them all with roundup and then burn the canes late in the fall. As I understand it the virus stays in the soil for several years no matter what I do.

suggestions or comments anyone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrsg47(7)

Does the virus look like yellow or orange powder on the leaves? Is there not a funigicide you can use?

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 7:09PM
oldryder

my understanding from a lot ofreading is that a virus infection of raspberries is inevitable eventually at least here in MN and that nothing can be done except to replant elsewhre with untainted nursery stock

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 9:00PM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

Fungicides are for fungi. We can't even kill viruses that infect us. Aids, flu, herpes etc. You could plant something not related to raspberries there.Some of the viruses affecting raspberries (e.g. arabis mosaic virus, cucumber mosaic virus) have very wide host ranges, and can affect a large number of garden plants and even weeds.
Yes kill all the weeds too.
I'm not sure what you could grow there now? Maybe currants and espalier them on the trellis.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 10:41PM
alan haigh

I agree with oldryder- and from some experience. Most sites, brambles in my area burn out over time, although fall bearers can be very long lived.

I've never worried about sanitizing the soil or heard of a way of doing that for viruses. I've never heard of anyone going to Drew's methods either, although maybe there are certain cases. I believe your problem is probably specific to brambles.

Because wild brambles are so prevalent around that contain the viruses that are the problem, I only pull out the old plants and immediately use the site for other things. Unless your area is very tame (without wild brambles nearby) I see no reason to do anything more than this

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 6:19AM
drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a

I was just thinking what to do with the area. I have 2 locations right now and both have a trellis up. I would not want to remove it. And I kill weeds there now. The info about it spreading is a plagiarized quote from the Royal Horticultural Society. I like their books, so often go to them for info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Royal quotes

This post was edited by Drew51 on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 7:09

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 7:07AM
More Discussions
Urgent grafting advice: Experiment Antonovka +/- B9 interstem
You can read my previous posts to see photos of my...
hungryfrozencanuck
Blue Berries-acid soil and other vegetable plants
I have been growing blue berry plants intermixed with...
RonCz
Help understanding huckleberries
I recently enjoyed some huckleberry pie and was pleasantly...
pushindirt
Growing Anything Under A Black Walnut Tree
Hi Gang.....maybe someone here has a solution or idea,...
Greenhorn2
KNNN espalier planting
Hi - I just planted some 1 year bare root apple trees....
Jamie Cartwright
Sponsored Products
Hand-Tufted Mandara Floral Tan Wool Rug (7'9" x 10'6")
Overstock.com
Designers Fountain 6623 Venetian 3 Light Bath Bar in Chrome Finish - 6623-CH
$167.50 | Hayneedle
Area Rug: Giant Fern Aqua 3' 3" x 5' 3"
Home Depot
Marcott Runner 2'6" x 8' - IVORY
$339.00 | Horchow
Tan Circles Majestic Rug
$24.99 | zulily
Hyper Links Giclee Glow Bronze Balance Arm Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Artistic Weavers Rugs Dillon Black 2 ft. 6 in. x 8