Best Espalier Fruit for Pacific Northwest?

Tessinseattle(8)July 14, 2013

I would like to plant a tree to espalier along the western perimeter of our yard. Any pointers? What preparations for espalier are recommended. What kind of fruit trees are both good for espalier and hardy in rainy PNW climates? We already have a pear tree that is over 100 years old and a little diseased (scab and some kind of moth). Our arborist said there was little apart from a professional pruning that could be done for it without dousing it in chemicals so we don't eat many pears. I'd love to plant one of these scab-immune apple varietals: âÂÂLibertyâÂÂ, âÂÂPrimaâÂÂ, âÂÂWilliamsâ PrideâÂÂ, PRISTINE, âÂÂEnterpriseâÂÂ, âÂÂBelmacâÂÂ, âÂÂChehalisâÂÂ, and âÂÂSpartanâ but not sure where/how to begin.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lawanddisorder(6)

100 year old pear tree? Is this possible? Very cool.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 1:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnieappleseed

Hi Tess, those varieties sound good....esp. Liberty, Spartan, William's Pride....you definitely want scab resistant apples. As for your arborist, he is half-right in that it is undesireable to protect the whole pear tree (probably) but individual pears can be protected next year.....we talk about bagging fruit on this forum and you should learn more about that......as for age of pears, the Fowler Pear tree by the Mukilteo landing north of Seattle has a Seckel pear tree planted in 1862 and still producing and if you come to our Harvest Fest in Carkeek Park you can see 120 year old apple and pear trees www.pipersorchard.org......final note: since I "advertise" this gardenweb.com website for growers that ask questions , perhaps I can advertise the www.homeorchardsociety.org website for people with questions in the Pacific Northwest.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 4:47PM
More Discussions
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
How does well water with Rust affect pH?
We use well water with lots of rust in it. Will it...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™