Why are my Asian Pears cracking and getting wrinkled?

languardJuly 19, 2013

For the most part my Asian Pears are doing well, but some of the fruit are getting damaged. First up we have fruits shriveling up on the tree as seen below. We've probably taken off 10 so far that look like this.

Next up we have splitting. I'm not sure how many are doing this, but the picture below shows what they look like.

And finally...brown stuff at the stem. I have no idea what could be causing this, or even if it's harmful, but I've removed the few fruits I've see that look like this.

I suspect at least one of the causes is watering. To much or too little is the question. About once a week I deep soak the trees by turning on the house and just letting it run for about 7 minutes each tree. All the trees have mulch around them, with a small breathing space cleared around the trunk.

These last few weeks in the Kansas CIty area have been hot and dry in case that matters. And as always, thanks in advance for any replies :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

The brown stuff at the base of the stem is from the codling moth.

Someone else should be along soon to comment about the other two images..

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 2:08AM
Scott F Smith(6B/7A MD)

Cracking can happen if its dry and then suddenly gets very wet. It has not been common for me. Cracking makes them more susceptible to moth damage. I don't know whats going on with those small fruits in the top picture, they look very strange. Since there are not many damaged fruits I would just keep monitoring it at this point.

Scott

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 9:13PM
languard

Thanks for the response guys. I've cut open several pears and found that yep, I've got tunnels. Haven't seen any of the worms yet though. I've been hunting down all the fruit that show the frass. Hopefully that will control the population well enough.

Regarding the splitting, that sounds about right. It was brutal hot for a while, then we deep soaked the trees.

Anyone on the the shriveled fruit?

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Grafting thin scionwood?
I just received an order of scionwood from Tim Strickler...
jbclem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™