newly planted d'anjou pear tree with no leaves

knightxlJuly 10, 2012

Help. My wife got us a d'anjou pear tree and it didn't have any leaves on it, which i found odd and should've probably gone back and exchanged it.

The branches and main stem are green and flexible and there it is white with green membrane inside the stem when i make a small cut in the branches.

It has been planted in the ground for about a week now and no sign of new growth. Is this tree done, should i dig it up and exchange it at Lowes where it was purchased? Or is it just dormant until next spring? Should i feed it something to encourge foliage.

Btw I did get a Bartlett pear tree to pair it with and it has plenty of foliage.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ltilton

Was the tree dormant when you bought it? Was it bare-root or potted?

If it was dormant, which is hard to believe at this time of year, you might give it more than a week to leaf out. But certainly not till next spring.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 9:31PM
knightxl

It had no leaves when she bought it, she didnt think anything of it, it was the only one available that day. It was potted. Yeah I suppose i'll give it more time, hopefully it will sprout some buds soon.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 3:08PM
denninmi(8a)

Well, the good thing about Lowes is it should have a one year guarantee from date of purchase, even if its on clearance, so save the receipt (unless you scanned your MyLowes card).

But, since this thing had since probably March in Zone 8 to leaf out and hasn't I would say something is probably wrong with it. Whether or not it comes out of it and grows is hard to say, but the longer they go without breaking the smaller the odds of survival in my opinion.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 4:00PM
More Discussions
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
New orchard...planting between rows
I'm planting a 30 tree apple orchard this spring in...
fernstone118
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™