blueberry soil and spacing

dianezone7okJuly 15, 2012

My husband has just built me a box that is 8 ft by 2 ft and 2 ft deep to grow blueberries in. Can I get 3 plants in that or is it only big enough for two? I've been reading old posts and it seems Sweetcrisp should grow in my zone (7A central Oklahoma) -- will they cross-pollinate or do I have to have one of something else?

I will be building my own soil for the box. I usually use Mel's Mix from Sq Ft Gardening - 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 spaghnum peat, and 1/3 compost. But that has a pH of about 7. Should I go to 1/2 peat or more? I have lots of pine needles, or for that matter a dried up pine tree I could run through my chipper and mix into the soil. I will mulch with the needles for sure. I will also have access to oak leaves in the fall. I have very alkaline water so I hope I can get lots of rain water.

Can I plant this fall or should I wait until spring?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bradybb(wa8)

Hello Diane,
It looks like a good plan.Three should fit in there.
Two Sweetcrisp and another Southern Highbush pollinator like Emerald will work.
Grinding up the old Pine tree,especially the bark will help a lot.Even use it instead of the compost or get some Pine bark mulch from a supplier.
If the plants are real young,it might be best to wait til the temps warm up in the Spring.
Horner's Farms can probably supply the plants.Stay away from Florida Hill Nursery.There still may be a situation of plant identification. Brady

Here is a link that might be useful: Horner's Farms

Bookmark   July 15, 2012 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Can Apples grow in the tropics?
I was wondering if apples could really be grown in...
Axel
Cherry tree damage from storm
Top third of cherry tree snapped off by falling limb...
jimfnc7
Blackberry Winter Survival 2015
I finished snowplowing yet again today here in South...
calfee20
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™