Apple leaf problem

greyphase(6A)July 8, 2013

The newest leaves on my apple grafts are starting to roll up. Should I be worried about this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmtaylor(5a (WI))

I am unable to open your photo from here (blocked at work) but my guess is you have aphids, which commonly affects the newest leaves. I've had a lot of issues with aphids on my Cortland tree this year. Look inside the curled leaves and you will find either little green aphids or little rosy/purple aphids. In either case, the aphids suck all the sap out of young leaves. The aphids are brought up the tree by ants, who enjoy tasting a chemical that the aphids secrete from their skin. So bottom line is that it is the ants' fault. The solution: Kill the ants for sure, plus kill the aphids and/or remove all the curled leaves with the aphids on them. You've already lost these leaves, they aren't helping the plant if they are all curled up, so you can safely pick them off the tree. Just keep checking the ground beneath the tree every few days looking for ant hills. Whenever you see ants, kill 'em. It's all their fault.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
Blue Berries-acid soil and other vegetable plants
I have been growing blue berry plants intermixed with...
RonCz
Fungus on grapes from last season?
Near the end of last season my grape plants got a fungus...
frdnicholas
First Bench Grafts Using a Fieldcraft Topgrafter
Hi all, I've been patiently waiting for signs of life...
gardener365
plum truble
I have a gold plum tree aprox 5years old. It has always...
john zone 8
Can I prevent Fire Blight the way I prevent Peach Leaf Curl?
Okay, so it's pretty easy to prevent peach leaf curl....
frostygardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™