Designing Fruit Garden on Hill

kilkoyneJuly 9, 2014

Hi everyone,

I have a steep hill in my backyard (appr 45 degrees) that's currently overgrown with various plants. I'm clearing it now and thinking about planting fruit bushes (blackberries, raspberries, and maybe blueberries).

The area would be appr 80 ft x 30 ft (could go bigger if I needed to) and in direct sunlight. I live in New England and believe the zone is "5". The soil appears sandy.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Should I be performing soil tests now? Is there a proper way to arrange the plants depending on drainage?

I don't see me actually planting until next year at the ealiest so anything I can do now to prepare will most likely help. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I can't help much, having never planted a large area of fruit but one thing to watch out for is frost pockets. How does cold air behave on your slope? Is there a spot at the bottom that stays cold long after the rest has thawed? Is there a spot at the top that thaws and refreezes frequently? Is there a spot that gets early morning sun which can damage frozen plants? As well as clearing and preparing the ground I'd spend a lot of time this winter observing how the sun/temperature varies over the slope.

Bookmark   July 10, 2014 at 4:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
redsun9

You need to build the bed in the middle of the hill, with stone or other garden structure like railroad ties.

Bookmark   August 30, 2014 at 12:05AM
More Discussions
My First Grape Vine - Need Help!
I just purchased my very first grape vine (concord)....
lekennedy4
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™