Too late for Sugar Baby watermelons?

blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)July 10, 2012

I just planted about 40 Sugar Baby watermelon seeds. Im hoping to have 60 days of good hot weather. Do you think they will grow alright? Im in southern California

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

They'll grow fine, question is will the fruit mature to good quality. I'd say you've got a fighting chance because I harvest fruit into October. But you won't have a big harvest, maybe a few fruits. I'm already harvesting 30 lb melons. So you are starting very late.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 10:18PM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

Damn. I was thinking about going for a world record but Ill guess that will have to weight until next year:-)

Fingers crossed. The bag of seeds was given to me by a friend and it showed 30 seeds on the packet but when I counted them it was closer to 45-50. I planted all of them because I didnt know if they would keep in the fridge until next year or not. I should have kept some, oh well.

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 10:38PM
carolync1(z8/9 CA inland)

Unless you have a lot of room, you probably planted too many melon seeds. If you get fall Santa Anas, warm or even hot weather could occur into November in Southern California. Along with "June Gloom", that could make the growing season for melons a little different than in most places. Still, it's sort of a gamble on the weather.

Bookmark   July 11, 2012 at 1:21AM
More Discussions
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Something ate part of this apple tree
This a seedling I started last year. Last night something...
Orchardman
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Apple varieties evaluations 2005-2015
Hi some people here several months ago asked for a...
Scott F Smith
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™