Are blackberry & black raspberry the same??

chuckby(z5NY)July 1, 2009

I bought a few plants thinking they were blackberries and when I got home the label read black raspberry. Are they the same thing or are they two different berries? Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jellyman(6/7VA)

Chuck:

Blackberries and black raspberries are two, quite different berries. The easiest way to tell the difference is that blackberries come off the canes whole, while black raspberries leave a core, similar to red and yellow raspberries.

They are all good.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 9:01PM
calliope(6)

The difference here is about three dollars a quart more for black raspberries at the markets. You'll find the black raspberries more pungent and tangy. I found a patch of wild ones on our property this year. I have thousands of wild blackberry plants, but this is the first year I've found a booty of black raspberries. Their canes look very different from blackberry canes. The new canes are silvery with a frosted look.

Bookmark   July 1, 2009 at 9:11PM
larry_gene

Most people prefer the taste and lesser relative seed mass of blackberries. Black raspberry plants are also quite prickly.

You may want to go back and get some blackberry plants, but try some of the black raspberry plants also; you may find you like them.

Bookmark   July 2, 2009 at 12:44AM
More Discussions
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
cold/frost hardy peaches
Looking to get a list of 3 of the most frost tolerant,...
sean2280
Grafting acocados
I am grafting an avocado tree. Is it alright to graft...
tim45z10
avacado seed help ASAP
So I chose the damp paper napkin method to get my seed...
Trisha Stewart
Broken citrus tree
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™