whats eating these leaves?

katyajini(z6 NYC)July 12, 2007

I have never seen the leaves on my trees getting eaten like this before. The pictures are of leaves on my new planted Northstar and Montmorency cherry trees. I see it also on my new blackberry canes. What animal is doing this? The leaves are getting decimated. What can I do?

Thanks!

Katyajini

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitangadiego(San Diego, CA)

Go out with a flashight around 10 pm and look for bugs, perhaps earwigs, caterpilars, or ? Many bugs only come out at night.

Bookmark   July 12, 2007 at 10:19PM
jellyman(6/7VA)

Katy:

Several species of night-feeding beetles cause the type of injury you are seeing. The most common are the Rose Chafer and the larger Masked Chafer. I have the most trouble with the Masked Chafer, which usually chooses cherry and plum tree leaves before any others. You can have these beetles even if you have completely eliminated the day-feeding Japanese beetles with milky spore.

Sevin (carbaryl) and Diazinon are both effective against these beetles, but the effects of these contact insecticides wear off quickly, and sprays must be renewed about every 3-4 days to continue to be effective during the period of heaviest infestation, which is usually during the month of July. There are systemics like Orthene that can be used if you don't mind systemics. Their effects last much longer.

I don't know of a solution other than spraying. Hand picking would have to be done at night, when most of us prefer to be sleeping or working the night shift.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Bookmark   July 12, 2007 at 11:21PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Note that Diazinon is no longer available, retail, to home gardeners. However, anyone who still has some can use it according to label directions.

Bookmark   July 13, 2007 at 1:29AM
More Discussions
Looks like no pears this year.
We have gotten a lot of chill hours this year for the...
insteng
Is it just me or have my plum tree buds gotten bigger lately?
I have a bruce plum tree that i planted last september. It...
tlbean2004
Trimming overgrown avocado tree then graft?
Dear gardenweb community, I am hoping to hear some...
funlul
Last year I had no nectarines
What have I done right with this tree to give me so...
mrronny
Bareroot pruning of a multi-branched nectarine?
Just picked up a bareroot Snow Queen and it has several...
brownmola
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™