Anyone have success with Quince in Zone 4 US?

dianasan(z5a Mtl)July 13, 2010

My quince is 8 years old and has been bearing fruit for about 5 years now. However, it always gets cold before the fruit is fully ripe. I even tried picking it before the first frost and ripening it indoors, but the fruit is not mature enough and usually just shrivels and rots.

I've been comparing the notes in my 2009 gardening journal with this year, and so far, because of the early spring and the warmer summer we're having, everything is ahead by about 2 weeks. I'm hoping that maybe this will be the year that I finally will get ripe quince.

Has anyone else ever had success growing and harvesting quince in Zone 4 US / Zone 5a Canada?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wally_1936(8b)

When we lived in Michigan they did well there. You may have to check with your local extension agent or what ever name they use and find out if you have the correct variety for your area. I do remember my grand-mother making quince butter which I was the only one who loves and ate the jam. Best of Luck I looked on the Hardiness Zone Map and it looks like where I lived was Zone 4B.
Paul

Bookmark   July 15, 2010 at 11:24AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dianasan(z5a Mtl)

Thanks for your feedback. I checked the fruit and they already have a reddish blush. I think they might just make it this year and I'll be able to make some quince jam at last.

Bookmark   July 16, 2010 at 8:11PM
More Discussions
Paw Paw in Monmouth County NJ
I'm interested in growing several fruit trees on my...
ritzandbigb1
Propagating Muscadine vine
How long do I leave them in the frig? How do you propagate...
jolj
Asian pear spray in first year
Just planted a dwarf asian pear from Starks. Do I need...
ferroplasm Zone 7b
Pictures missing!
Have you noticed, since Houzz took over allot of pictures...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
Are these roots that are forming on a callery pear cutting in water?
As you may know, i took cuttings of a flowering pear...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™