Propagating pear rootstock?

TurCre(5 SoCentral NE)July 4, 2014

Does anyone have experience propagating pear rootstock? I know that pear rootstocks such as the Oldhome x Farmingdale varities are grown from hardwood cuttings. When is the best time to stick the cuttings? Best media for growing? Anyone with experience please chime in.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tony(Zone 5. Omaha, Nebraska)

I used Cleveland Flowering seeds and grow them for one season and graft them the following year. Very easy process.

Tony

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 11:10PM
lucky_p

Suspect the clonal rootstocks, like the OHxF series are produced from stooling beds.
I've tried, several times, to root dormant-collected cuttings of OHxF513 - with no success(but not much investment of time or care, either).

Callery pear seedlings pop up like a plague around here, and I graft some in-place for tranplant, or dig them and pot up or line 'em out in a nursery bed for grafting. Probably cut and poisoned close to 50 of them in a 20x20 area I was clearing out yesterday that hadn't been mown in about 5 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stooling

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 9:36AM
TurCre(5 SoCentral NE)

Tony thanks for the info.; however, I am most interested in cloning the above mentioned cross'. I know they are grown from hardwood cuttings. Just trying to gather info. on the most successful approach to propagation that way.

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 9:37AM
TurCre(5 SoCentral NE)

Lucky p, I am familiar with stooling I use that approach on my apple rootstocks. I know that the pears are grown from hardwood cuttings at least the rootstocks I have purchased in the past were. Fairly heavy stem and the roots originate from the callus on the bottom cut.

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 9:43AM
gonebananas_gw

I too have read that clonal pear rootstock is now commonly grown from cuttings. (Although the huge stooling fields seem unlikely to have been replaced.)

Possibly the cuttings are softwood cuttings rooted under mist. Other woody plants whose dormant wood is hard to root are now successfully rooted commercially by softwood/mist methods (e.g., muscadine grapes). If I were a betting man, I would bet it relates to the presence of leaves helping rooting. I have read that leafless citrus cuttings root poorly while leafy ones root readily under mist. And in citrus the effect may even be be less pronounced because terminal shoots in citrus are green and likely photosynthesize a bit themselves.

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
new orchard - a few questions
I'd like to start a small orchard on a recently purchased...
Fiona Kerr
Growing Anything Under A Black Walnut Tree
Hi Gang.....maybe someone here has a solution or idea,...
Greenhorn2
Looking for Carmine Jewel Cherries?
I know a lot of people are looking for carmine jewel...
clarkinks
Water and other issues with young peach tree
I have a peach tree that was transplanted last spring...
sheckylovejoy
First time tree planter, need pruning advice.
I know there some some people that say not to prune...
speedster1
Sponsored Products
Tea Chest Sampler
$45.00 | Horchow
Picado Pillow Cover in Pear
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Jardins du Seda France Asian Green Two-Wick Candle
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Flux Large Pendant by Access Lighting
$298.00 | Lumens
Middlefield Iron Rust One Light Pendant with Smoked Glass
$289.00 | Bellacor
Les Poires Giclee Set of Four Shades 3x6x5 (Clip-On)
$49.99 | Lamps Plus
4" Solid Bronze Wall Tile with Pear Design
Signature Hardware
Set Of Two Pear Sconces
Classic Hostess
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™