Raspberry root rot

spot-e-dogJuly 22, 2012

I'm fighting a losing battle against raspberry root rot. The thread is on the Pacific Northwest forum, but I thought I'd post here hoping the fruit group may have some advice or suggestions

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/nwest/msg0612590015320.html?12

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
northernmn(3/4)

The year that I planted my raspberry canes, I watered them about every 3 days. This turned out to be a little too often and about 3 or 4 of the 50 plantings started to develope root rot. At that point the roots were not interconnected between the plants. I backed off on the watering frequency and that was the end of the problem.

Are you getting any breaks between water intervals? You may need to get the infected plants and their surrounding soil out of the row.

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 8:46PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dmtaylor(5a (WI))

I agree. Raspberries don't need much water at all. I wait until mine begin to wilt for a day or two and then water. Otherwise, don't water at all. I honestly didn't have to water mine at all this year until the drought hit in late June / early July. The occasional rain here up to that point was enough to where I didn't need to water until the drought.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 7:57PM
More Discussions
hewes crab apple
looking for 10 or so scions. of course i will pay....
randymontana
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Foliar fertilizer on fruit
I have been using foliar fertilizers more and more...
crazyman2099
Loquat tree
My darn tree has stopped sending energy to the fruit....
tim45z10
Calling all Sweetcrisp owners!!!
Dear Sweetcrisp owners, Over here in Australia we are...
raadster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™