What's wrong with my Polaris Blueberry?

michellethemitJuly 3, 2013

Hello Gardenweb,

I decided to try growing blueberries this year - I have a Polaris and Pink Lemonade plant in my little balcony in Toronto. Currently I'm having a bit of an issue with the Polaris plant: http://imgur.com/a/iKSRY

I've done some research and I'm not sure whether it's fertilizer burn, underwatering or some other problem that I'm not aware of. I've treated the Pink Lemonade plant very similarly and have had no problems with it - I'm aware that cultivar difference can be a really big difference, but I suppose it's good to know that I haven't completely messed up with both plants.

I eagerly await your feedback! Thank you in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX

That does look like a salt burn. Any chance those nuts were salted that provided hulls in the pot? Table salt, sodium chloride, is very bad for most plants. Otherwise it could be too much fertilizer. Flush well with rainwater and the plant will be fine.

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 9:33PM
michellethemit

Hello fruitnut,

The nuts were salted, but I rinsed the shells with lots of water beforehand (and did a taste test). Perhaps blueberries are very sensitive to salt? I've used a similar amount of fertilizer in both blueberry pots and the other one seems to be quite happy with its setup. I'll be sure to dump a lot of rainwater on the plant the next chance I get (as well as remove the shells ASAP).

I would love to hear as many opinions as I can regarding my problem. I'm definitely open to suggestions!

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 9:40PM
northernmn(3/4)

I have 8 Polaris plants, but without you posting the actual picture, it's hard to say how they differ.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 7:22PM
michellethemit

Hello northernmn,

I've included a URL to some pictures in my original posting, but I'll post it again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Imgur photo album

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 7:30PM
northernmn(3/4)

The Pink Lemonade plant has some classic signs of iron chlorosis. The lighter green leaf with the darker green veins. This is usually cause by a soil pH that is too high. Have you checked the soil pH? Blueberries do better down in the 4.5 to 5.5 range.

The signs on the Polaris are not as definitive but that could be your problem there as well if they both contain the same soil mix and are watered the same. I'd start with a pH check.

If you find that your soil pH is too high, there are several threads on this forum to correct that.

I have also found that my Polaris plants vary greatly in appearance and vigor even though the variables are exactly the same. My other 1/2 highs; Chippewa, St Cloud, North Blue, and Friendship are more consistent.

Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 6:32AM
More Discussions
Blueberry leaves turning brown
The leaves of one of my southern highbush (Snowchaser...
julia_scheidt
Can I store apple rootstock in the fridge?
I'll be getting a couple apple rootstocks the first...
edweather
Carmine Jewel
So I've been fretting about my Early Richmond for a...
iowajer
KNNN espalier planting
Hi - I just planted some 1 year bare root apple trees....
Jamie Cartwright
Fuyu Persimmon
I purchased a fuyu last year from fast-growing-trees.com....
elizabethk1
Sponsored Products
Raine Leather Sleeper Sofa - Brighton Aubergine Purple
Joybird Furniture
Wescott Face Cloth - PLACID GRAY(LTGRY (WASH CLOTH)
$7.90 | Horchow
Broadway Black Corner Plasma/ LCD TV Console
Overstock.com
Metal Camden Task Lamp
Cost Plus World Market
Polaris P003VW Porcelain Vessel Sink White
PLFixtures
Home Decorators Area Rug: Olympia Blue 3' 6" x 5' 6"
Home Depot
Mercer Ceiling Fan by Quorum International
$270.00 | Lumens
Curvalo Satin Nickel Three-Light Mini Pendant with Ruby Crackle Glass