Stunted apples ripening a month early

ltiltonJuly 17, 2012

Saw a couple of damaged apples on the Gala tree, pulled them off. Noticed that they pulled off with suspicious ease. I bit into one, and it was edible. Tart, but not unripe-inedible. The other, which was coloring up, also had enough sweetness to eat. If they hadn't been less than 2 inches in diameter.

Normally, the Galas reach this tart-edible stage towards the 2nd half of August, when they are nearing full size.

Beginning to think this is what I'm going to get.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

Well, they bloomed what, 6 weeks early? And, then it was hot, hot, hot, so I guess it's logical they would ripen early. Unfortunately, the drought made them very small. I've observed that sometimes defective fruits ripen first, so maybe the rest will be better.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 10:12PM
ltilton

Yes, I've seen a lot of stressed or infested fruits ripening prematurely, in fear they won't otherwise make it. The ones I picked today, although with some sweetness, had a tough unpleasant flesh. I'd feed them to the pigs, if I had pigs. If the squirrels want them, I won't object.

I've been wanting to get out and thin out the bearing trees in hopes the remaining apples would grow larger, but it's just been too hot.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 10:36PM
ltilton

The temps having dropped out of the 90s, I went out and thinned about half the fruits from the most-stressed tree. Hope it isn't too late.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 4:06PM
franktank232(z5 WI)

I wonder if the big boys (apple growers) are having the same issues? You got to wonder around here and then south towards Richland Center (lot of apples grown from this area south) have any way to irrigate? Without giving my trees water I bet they would be near death.

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 6:38PM
More Discussions
mango seed ..is it dead?
The Whole outside of it is black .. Is it dead? I looked...
Trisha Stewart
Apple scions. Help please.
Hello. It's sure nice to see familiar names and faces,...
Joleneakamama
Fruit drop on Paw paw
Last year I pollinated by hand very thoroughly. I got...
johndoug
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
How to shape this Grape Vine
Here is a grafted Perlette Grape Vine growing in it's...
dan8_gw (Northern California Zone 9A)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™