Strawberries.....how many daughter plants?

Nu_2_GardeningJuly 3, 2012

Hello All,

I am brand new to growing strawberries and have done some reasing and listened to some seasoned vets. Let me tell you what I have done and am doing and then if you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

I have placed my plants in a raised bed 4'x8' and 12 inches deep. I did not plant them on a mound and I have unprocessed cypress mulch around them. I am pinching off buds this year as I was told I would likely get little fruit anyway and this would promote healthy growth to prep for next year. I went with an everbearing variety.

Silly me, I did not test the "special garden soil" I ordered from a landscaping company before I planted. After a month of little growth and poor color tested the soil and found it devoid of nitrogen and phosphates. So I have had to add some nutrients to the soil and they are thriving now and starting to get suckers....I guess that's what they call them. I plan to let the plants form a cluster and was told to allow about 5 daughter plants off each mother plant. Does that seem about right? I hope to get the daughter sprouts attached to soil soon and was curious about the best method to do that. I have heard I can pull the mulch away from the soil where I went them to root and apply a small stone on the stem close to the foliage end and that will let it root? Is this the best way or are there alternatives?

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate any thoughts you might have and what has worked for you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Honey_Tree

I have never heard about the pinching off of the buds for increased productivity. I'm curious about that one, as I have a new patch this year, too.

From my experience, expecting 5 or so daughters from each mother plant is about right, though I often have some that don't do quite that good.

I also pull the mulch away from the spot where I want the new plant to set at the distance it's decided on. But, I've had good luck just replacing the mulch on top of the sucker stem. As long as the new plantlet is touching the ground and has moisture, it gets the roots in.

I didn't plan quite enough room for all the daughters I'm getting this year, so I'm going to start having them root in plastic yogurt containers to put somewhere else.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 11:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nu_2_Gardening

Well.....the thought is that if you allow the plant to bloom and fruit its first year, it won't get as big for the second and thrid years when it will really bloom and fruit up. I am thinking that the energy it puts into producing fruit will be put into plant growth. At least that is what I have read and heard. Just corious about practical experience. I will definitely do what you mentioned about getting the daughter plants to root. Thanks for the reply.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 11:53PM
More Discussions
Extreme Cold
Looks like I won't be seeing any peaches and plums...
Helen Zone 6 Ohio
Do i need to use wax for this kind of graft or just masking tape?
I am going to be doing 5 pear cleft grafts with 1/4...
tlbean2004
Is San Diego just behind with the flowering??
Any San Diegans or southern Californians here? I see...
brownmola
Too new to know...is this root acceptable?
I'm new to Orcharding and to GardenWeb (what an incredible...
GuardinDawg
Need late flowering pears?
Seems all of my pears are early flowering which is...
Konrad..just outside of Edmoton Alberta
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™