Black Berries bloomed but no fruit

hardmanknot(z6 OH)July 9, 2013

I have blackberries which have been in place about 4 years. Based on all the blooms this year I was planning on a bumper crop. I have some berries which are producing well but roughly 50 - 60 % of the blooms on some plants never formed fruit, just dried up on the vine. One plant has plenty of fruit, the one next to it has dried up blooms.

Any ideas as to what might cause this. I do have at least two varieties, and I am not sure if only is affected.

I have attached a picture.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vieja_gw(z7NM)

I have the thornless 'Triple Crown' blackberry canes & have had bumper crops of delicious berries in the past. Because I haven't learned how to prune them properly, I just cut the canes back each year & let the new ones grow from the cut canes. This year has been SO dry & hot but I do see some berries developing & pinkish but not a lot so far. Thought maybe because of the heat & drought they were not being fertilized by fewer bees around? Your first pic loks just like the stage mine are in just now.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 9:44PM
myfamilysfarm

Unless pollinated, you will not get berries.

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 11:55AM
prestons_garden(9B SZ 22 HZ 6 SoCal)

If you have a Triplecrown blackberry, it's self pollinating. If the has bloomed but failed to produce a berry, more than likely it's due to not enough water and or lacking a good fertilizer. Careful not to over water as they will stop growing. Send larger pics to my email if you need more help.

Ron

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 2:20PM
More Discussions
huge raspberry bush!!!!
Help! My husband and I have a humongous 6 foot spread...
satami00
Raising Blackberries For Fun and Profit-Prime Jim
I stumbled across this video on Prime Jim blackberries....
2010champsbcs
Blueberries not thriving?
I planted young blueberries last spring in pots. They...
MK
Type of Wire for Espalier?
So I've got a tiny (6 trees) fruit orchard that i've...
symplestytches
Hardy Peach Tree; Recommendations?
I am new to peach trees. I bought a Reliance three...
mark_roeder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™